Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Show an interface without airtable account.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sara
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer
What is the proposed idea/solution?

I would like to share an interface with a person that hasn't an Airtable account.

How does is solve the user problems?

In this way people without an account could see only that interface (not the base) through a link. 

Who is the target audience?

All people that work with external customers.

A lot of people commented about this idea here:

https://community.airtable.com/t5/interface-designer/how-show-an-interface-without-airtable-account/...

54 Comments
annikahubert
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I need this. 

I would love a free read-only role or commenter role (at a significantly reduced cost - e.g. $1). 

I could do so much more in my organisation to push AT into other areas (which would increase paid seats) but I struggle to show value in some areas because I cannot grant free read-only access to the pretty interfaces to the mgt team. 

Anne_Gonzalez
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@annikahubert I believe you actually can grant free read-only access to interfaces - the user just has to have an AT account, which is a sticking point for many of us here. But in your case, it sounds like they have what you need.

See the chart on this page: https://support.airtable.com/docs/interface-designer-permissions

jenca
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@IanCreativeOps Ditto. I am in exactly the same situation with the same use case. 

brianduff
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is probably the single feature that would make me want to actually pay for the non-free version of airtable. I was quite surprised it's not supported.

I suspect the hesitation to support this feature is because airtable doesn't want to become a hosting service for random content that's publicly visible on the internet? 

atusr
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

this is the most important feature that i expect from airtable, as it causes a lot of WORKaround

Mouser-IB-Admin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Absolutely agreed, this is certainly needed. It's just a furthering of shared views so I'm not sure why it isn't possible right now. Interfaces allow a much more robust viewing experience and being able to provide it to people, both internal and external, without needing to login to Airtable would be incredibly helpful.

Anthony_Manniel
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This suggestion isn't going to happen. We are 5 pages into this suggestion now with zero response from Airtable. I've also sent emails to support and I get the generic response "we will be actively exploring possibilities to implement this in the future". Today starts my process of finding an alternative that has this feature built-in. If I find something, I will share with everyone here who has been patiently waiting for any sort of answer from Airtable. 

atusr
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Until airtable launches that feature, the MVP is adding a FillOut.com links to each of your airtable records so that your users can ViewDetails, Edit, Delete records or Linked Records.

Then you can can use coupler.io or byteline.io to sync the View with a Public or Shared Google Sheet, and voilà, your users will be able to work from there, not for free because that comes with the cost of the syncing service used.

If you prefer a UI different to google sheets, you can try with softr.

Imyself i prefer to share synced google sheets connected to fillout.com instead of softr or airtable shared views, as google sheets is very powerful with GAS to auto-format, filtering & sharing features, etc.

Anthony_Manniel
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Atusr -

I did find some 3rd party software, forget the name now, to do what we all intend to do but I feel we shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops. Plus I'm sure there are some here that don't feel comfortable or want to connect so many apps together in a string to do this. 

PeymanYousefi

Good news for everyone!!
https://support.airtable.com/docs/managing-and-sharing-interfaces

The day has arrived as a public beta of Shared Airtable Interface pages for Team, Business, and Enterprise Scale customers!

With the new Share feature, you can now share an Interface page and the data with anyone. Share options include a publicly accessible web link and the ability to embed the data directly on the web.

You have several privacy settings including:

• full app view access
  • who can access the page - anyone on the web, anyone at your organization, anyone at a domain
  • password requirement
  • allow users to navigate the full app
  • disable the public link
  • generate a new public link

It’s one thing to note that Interface pages created with record review, record summary, form, or blank layouts cannot be shared publicly. Hoping they change that in the future!

Airtable has also adding a disclaimer about public sharing you need to keep in mind when created shared Interface pages:

Some hidden data may be exposed. Public sharing might expose hidden data in your page, such as fields or records used in filters, charts, and other elements. This information could be accessed by technically-adept users through network logs.