Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Show linked records in linked 'view'

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anbarasan_Swami
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, I have a linked field that links records from the same table but from a different view (I have filter applied on that view based on some conditions)

When I link a field (from Table A) to a record from another table (Table B), In Table B, I get a new column that shows what records are being linked to in Table A

But in my case, when I link to a view in the same table, I am not able to see what records are linked to a record in the view.

What I am trying to achieve basically is if a record from the view is linked, it cannot be linked to another record. I want to hide that record from the linking view. Please suggest if this can be done or if there is a hack for this. thanks in advance

3 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yeah, these missing “backlinks” are one of the top major flaws & missing features of Airtable, and it annoys everyone. I have no idea why the engineers at Airtable stopped short of including this, since everybody who links records within the same table needs this feature. It is a real problem.

The best thing that you can do is try to put pressure on the Airtable team to fix this by sending them an email message at support@airtable.com. Historically, they don’t take feedback from any users unless those users are enterprise customers, but you can at least try.

In the meantime, you can use this JavaScript to help you with this task of creating backlinks for linking records within the same table:

https://builtonair.com/script/same-table-linked-records-backlinks/

Anbarasan_Swami

Thanks @ScottWorld for the script. I will send an email as well. This feature could really help a lot. In the meantime, I will use the script. thanks again

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Legend, thanks so much for posting Scott. This solves a filtering problem I had due to this very reason. Thanks again!!