Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Similar to the DATETIME_FORMAT function, it would be great to have a FORMAT_NUMBER_OR_CURRENCY function,

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This post inspired me to make this product suggestion.

We already have the DATETIME_FORMAT function, which lets us use a formula field to reformat the data from a date-type field into a text string of our specifications.

But it would be really great to have that exact same ability to reformat a number field or a currency field into a text string of our specifications.

For example, take these 2 fields:

Currency Field — formatted as currency with $ sign and precision of 2 decimal points
Number Field — formatted as decimal with precision of 4 decimal points

If we put these 2 fields into a formula that results in anything other than a single number result, they lose all of their formatting.

So instead of a desired sentence which looks something like this:
“You bought 0.4500 pounds at $2,200 each.”

The formula currently looks like this:
“You bought 0.45 pounds at 2200 each.”

We can easily add in the dollar sign, but adding in the commas and trailing zeros is harder to do in a calculation.

3 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Same thing with percent fields as well.

Guennantd_Cuen1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi guys !
Did you find how we can apply number format to add commas into a CONCATENATED field?

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I would love a function for formatting numbers.

Until that happens, I wrote a the app Ready-Made-Formulas to produce a formula that formats a number as a text string. It adds commas in the right place, even for European numbers. This particular formula requires a premium license, but if you really need to format a number as a text string, using the app will save you enough time versus trying to create the perfect formula yourself.