Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Automatic sorting in views

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Great news! We’ve just enabled this feature for everyone. Check out Mikayla’s post below for more info.

133 Comments
Vicky_Winkler
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just writing to express yet another person’s need for this feature! It’s very frustrating that it doesn’t auto-sort.

Troy_Gamble
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would love this feature!!

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

Just want to reiterate a post that probably gets lost in the shuffle up there, and has a helpful little tidbit:
https://community.airtable.com/t/allow-views-to-auto-sort/162/74?u=jeremy_oglesby

Once you get the hang of using this keyboard shortcut it becomes a bit of a reflex - I’m pretty quick now at hitting cmd+shift+S and then Enter to re-apply my sort after I’ve added new records, or anytime I open up a table and I know it’s been a while since last I sorted it.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Going to see if I can try something that might put Matt’s post at the top of the thread, since it is the best solution for the time being.

To clarify, we (the Airtable team) absolutely agree that this is an important feature and one that a lot of our users could benefit from. While I cannot provide a specific timeline, I can say that auto-sorting is something our team is working on and actively discussing internally.

Andre_Zijlstra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Thank you @Katherine_Duh. Updates like this really do mean a lot. I can not express how this issue is causing confusion and aggravation when you work with a lot of views. I mean this: to me this is not a Nice To Have solution. I am counting the hours until I see the official update news!!

Tim_Bourguignon
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks @Katherine_Duh for the update! I agree with @Andre_Zijlstra, this bit me yesterday again.

I run a database of events with Airtable. I have ~10 views in which the events are sorted by deadline. Yesterday I added new -and closing soon- events and missed re-applying the sorting to one of the views. Later that day I searched for a while why I wasn’t seeing those entries at the top before I reapplied the sorting out of despair.

In this case, I knew the events should be there, but my users wouldn’t…

Andre_Zijlstra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Tim, this happens to me in similar situations.
Teammembers would add records in a “raw” form (like concept). Soon after that I will finish all those records that I collect in a RAW view. But every once in a while I forget to sort them (Cntrol/Shift/S) and records seem to be missing. It is really awkward.
Als record are entered double by teammembers because they seem to be missing.

WNC_ITCommittee
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Count us in. We’d love to see automatic sorting. In fact, we find it counter intuitive that you have to sort each time you open a view. This would be a very useful feature.

Chais_Meyer
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Any updates on this?

Andre_Zijlstra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@Katherine_Duh

Hi Katherine, the community really needs to know where Airtable is going concerning this topic. It really is of major importance. I check the " What’s new" section on a daily base just to see if there’s anything new about auto-sorting.

I appreciate the new adds in Airtable, but they would be valued way more higher if major issues like auto-sorting would be solved. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that the Airtable crew works hard on every new add, but they are just appreciated less because the big issues are expected to be solved.

Regards,
André