Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Automatic sorting in views

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Great news! We’ve just enabled this feature for everyone. Check out Mikayla’s post below for more info.

133 Comments
Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Auto-sorting update from the Airtable team:

We’d like to announce a small feature that you may find useful for keeping views sorted. You can now Apply Sorts from our web and desktop apps using the keyboard: Ctrl-Shift-S (Cmd-Shift-S on Mac) to open the sort dialog, followed by Enter to apply sorts.

And don’t worry, we hear you on how useful full auto-sorting would be. We’re exploring the possibility of supporting in in the future. If so, it may take some time as we’d like for it to be intuitive and consistent across all Airtable apps and view types. We hope that the above keyboard shortcut is helpful in the meantime.

Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Auto-sorting update from the Airtable team:

We’d like to announce a small feature that you may find useful for keeping views sorted. You can now Apply Sorts from our web and desktop apps using the keyboard: Ctrl-Shift-S (Cmd-Shift-S on Mac) to open the sort dialog, followed by Enter to apply sorts.

And don’t worry, we hear you on how useful full persistent sorting would be. We’re exploring the possibility of supporting in in the future. If so, it may take some time as we’d like for it to be intuitive and consistent across all Airtable apps and view types. We hope that the above keyboard shortcut is helpful in the meantime.

Ken_Moholt-Sieb
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I certainly understand the complications of an autosort feature. It seems to me this could be accomplished by having reports. When you pull up a report view, the information would be sorted. You could determine whether you wanted the view to autoupdate or not. Since the report would be read only, the autosort feature would not create problems for the underlying data and collaborators.

Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

The answer seems really clear to me.

When the sort dropdown is active, put a little checkbox at the bottom that says ‘Refresh sorting order each time the view is loaded’.

Chais_Meyer
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

When we load up a specific view, specifically one where we’ve already pre-determined how we’d like it to be grouped and sorted, it doesn’t make sense why we would have to click the “Sort” button and hit ‘apply’ every time in order to update the sort view.

Can we make this a dynamic process where when the view loads, it automatically looks at the sort and ‘applies’ those settings right away?

Please and Thank you!

Matthew_Dewey
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

A vote in support of this feature.

We use customised grid views that we share with partners so that they can see the (in our case) recordings that are coming up over the next period, sorted by record date.

The autosort would make this service that much nicer / more reliable to the eye.

Cindee_Nielsen
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would be helpful; when adding a new member to my list, it would automatically place them where they belonged alphabetically, rather than me having to sort again. I like the idea!

Chris_Pearson

Bump.

Would be very useful to have persistent sorting. Right now it is a very manual process since you have to go to each table and each view to manually sort - in reality it doesn’t get done and then people don’t trust the data.

Justin_Mills
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Bumping this again as it would super appreciated!

Jennifer_Patsel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It seems a development oversight to not have auto sort. Airtable allows users to keep track of things in a collaborative setting. It’s not just one person keeping track of things on a spreadsheet. Auto sort is a must for group sanity. Sorry to be kind of heavy but really, it’s a basic need out of the box.