Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Formatting options for Long Text

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see basic text formatting options for the long text field. At a minimum: bold and italic formatting would be a huge help.

I would like to use long text fields to store short bios for writers. But without the ability to have italic formatting, I canโ€™t properly format the titles of their books.

The markdown formatting tools available in this Airtable community message editor would be perfect.

154 Comments
Karoline_Anders
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I just signed up to Airtable, hoping to migrate over from Google Sheets because of the better user experience. However, Iโ€™m sad to discover that itโ€™s not possible to add a Rich Text field to new tables. This would make a huge difference to the ability for me to upload content to my webflow CMS.

Is there a plan for when we may be able to expect this feature from Airtable? (ironic that Iโ€™m writing this with easy markups/in a RTE)

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

+1
At least to store notes or text data with some layout

BONUS:

• #hastag in text would be awesome to search
  • link in text to link other records
Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Welcome to the forum @Karoline_Andersen!

I agree - even simple markdown would be ideal. But, did you know that thereโ€™s nothing stopping you from creating and managing markdown or even HTML content in long text fields now?

I do this all the time. Using the API to fetch or manual export, markdown tags are sustained and when they are rendered in the CMS, it all works.

Matthew_Billio1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

+1
Exactly how it should be formatted. I use the long text field to communicate informationโ€ฆ
use case: when performing a lease check (oil and gas field) it is great to be able to add proof of what you searched by doing a screen shot and attaching it to my notes. Is it easily indexable information? No, but long text fields in databases are not traditionally indexed anyway! The point is, it is information that aids a users who has already found the field they want, and just need to see the background/history of the record.

another use case: insurance industry phone calls. When dealing with third party payers, documentation is king. Again, in my notes / journal of a call, I would like to be able to take screen shots, attach call logs, bold text for the next user who is coming behind me and needs to see excerpts of the most important information from my notes.

David_Fox
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Yes, rich text (ideally markdown so it is portable) in Long Text (or a new field type) would be incredibly useful.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi everyone! Iโ€™m so excited to let you all know that the beta for rich text formatting is coming very soon! :partying_face:
In the beta, expect to see:

• Text formatting, like bold and italics
  • The ability to hyperlink text
  • Bulleted lists (like this one!), as well as numbered lists and checkboxes
  • And more!

Excited? Sign up for the beta using this form.

:bulb: Tip: if you click through to the form, one of the form fields actually allows you to take the new formatting options for a test run!

Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Wow, @Katherine_Duh this is great news!

Honestly, itโ€™s kind of bittersweet. As the original poster of this suggestion, I will miss this long-running thread, and the feeling that I had really identified something so many other people wanted. I knew you guys would come up with something eventually.

Just signed up for the beta and canโ€™t wait to start testing it out!

Zach_Mortensen

+1 for markdown

Managing approved text / copy for teams, loses any/all formatting when it gets to Airtable, makes it very hard to maintain.

Agora_Orbis

Hello Ario
I can see you have been searching for a solution on thisโ€ฆ did you find any alternatives so far?
I have +100s of product descriptions which are completely unusable when exported into shopify, being squashed into one big paragraph.
Many thanks
Christie

Aiko_Muto
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Katherine_Duh I signed up for the Beta a few weeks ago but never heard back. When can I expect to use this functionality?