Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Formatting options for Long Text

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see basic text formatting options for the long text field. At a minimum: bold and italic formatting would be a huge help.

I would like to use long text fields to store short bios for writers. But without the ability to have italic formatting, I can’t properly format the titles of their books.

The markdown formatting tools available in this Airtable community message editor would be perfect.

154 Comments
Darin_Bellisari
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 - I’m also very excited to try out rich text beta feature. That will solve two problems for me:

#1) The bulleted list will allow me to list out sub-tasks under a super-task, in a way that is cumbersome to do today (using a ‘sub-category’ field remove that super-task from the list of other tasks)

#2) The rich text and bulleted lists in particular will allow me to keep notes on clients that I have touchpoints with. Today I have to use a separate Evernote notebook to keep those notes, but it’s much nicer to have notes tied into the relational database

I have signed up for the beta but haven’t gotten a response yet - hope I get included soon!

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

The RichText feature is great and clean, but it miss a (hard to code) feature:

Can you add the ability to hot link a record like it is possible with the @ shortcut ?

Usecase :

• I have an AirTable of Dialogs
  • I have an AirTable of Sound effects

I want to write something like: The hero draw it’s sword {swing sword} then charge the dragon {foot step} {roar}

Be able to autocomplete a list of word would help to write and reuse text in a clean way. It’s an elegant workaround whereas now I have columns sound1 sound2 sound3

Vince_Azorin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m testing the rich text feature and it works well for the most part but I’d like to leave some feedback for what I consider to be necessary improvements and fixes for rich text in the Page Designer block:

• Bold doesn’t work all the time; sometimes the block of text appears with two asterisks on either side instead of bold, sometimes within the same line some blocks appear in bold and others with asterisk
  • It seems like you cannot change the font of a rich text field. The font size stays the same as what was originally set before changing the field type to rich text.
  • There doesn’t seem to be a way of making the bold letters visibly bold - this probably relates to the previous comment as a change of font would probably help here.
Nimesh
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am really loving the Rich Text Field feature. It’s really neat.
What I wish now is to have the Description Block to be same as the Rich Text Field. The Description Block is not as good as Rich Text Field. And also I would love to have same experience in both places.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I would love text (in all places) to behave consistently. If you ask for both, it won’t be long before the third use case will present itself.

Ideally, Markdown transformations would be consistently applied wherever text can be used. This is far more difficult than simply saying it because rendering must be abstracted from actual lookup values, indexes, etc.

Another issue - imagine use cases where rendering with rich styling is fine for humans, but not so good for formulas - you will then need an ability to transform anything into plain text.

Lots of dependencies emerge when you ask for something so [seemingly] simple. :winking_face:

Vince_Azorin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I figured out that the text in bold doesn’t work (i.e., it gets wrapped in double asterisks) when parsing to a page designer block when the selected text ends with a space.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Also known as Markdown, which is not really a “Rich Text” implementation. But, I love the choice of Markdown for this support. However, I think this is yet another of the many dependencies that I referred to above.

Kathy_Benson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I too applied to join BETA testing. How long does it take to get in?

Greg_B

I signed up for the Beta in October 2019 but never heard back. When can I expect to use this functionality?

Jeff_Kemp
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Any updates on this? I’ve been waiting for this feature, thinking it would come out of beta. Do we still need to sign up for the beta at this point?