Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Limit linked record selection to a view

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury
123 Comments
Katherine_Harkn
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Nope, not here nor on the other request.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi! Thanks for giving us such an in-depth explanation of why and how you would want to use filtering on linked record fieldsโ€”itโ€™s really helpful for us, and what youโ€™re saying makes a lot of sense.

In addition to filtering the foreign keys in a linked record field, weโ€™ve also had requests to auto-sort the foreign keys in a linked record field. As you hinted, one way to deal with both filtering and sorting on linked record fields might be for there to be โ€œviewsโ€ that apply within the contents of a single field. In any case, if this is the approach we decide to take to solve the problem, we need to make sure that we design the new feature in such a way that it doesnโ€™t needlessly complicate the user experience. Apologies for the long response time!

Jonathan_Fuller
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Katherine,

What I have found myself doing (although this is still very cumbersome) is creating a new table that just has Lookup fields of the table I need to see records of sorted in the way that I need them to look and have those Lookup fields point to the table I need to see data from. Keep in mind that this only works as a form of a Report rather than modifiable data fields.

You can setup multiple Views of the Related Table formatted the way that you need and then change the View of the Related Table, go back to the Source Table and it will inherit the last used View of the Related Table. Again very cumbersome however it works in a pinch.

Jonathan_Fuller
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

For the Auto Sort you can as well use a Formula to Auto Sort the records and then Link to the Formula Field. Just another thought.

Katherine_Harkn
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you for your response!

Katherine_Harkn
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks, those are both very interesting suggestions.

Max_Pittsley
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1! It would be great to be able to apply filters to linked fields, such as โ€œonly show rows whose X column is nullโ€.

Tanguy_Auffret1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

hi everyone.
is there a way to link to a filtered list of records?
Here is a scenario :I am shooting a commercial.
I have thousands of candidates that I have auditioned. Only a few have been selected in the candidates table (check box)
now in my scene table, i would like to link a field to the candidates table. but I only want to be prompted with selected candidates and not the thousands i have auditionedโ€ฆ
is there a way to do that ?
i hope itโ€™s clear. ๐Ÿ˜•
thks in advance
T

Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi T!

Right now you canโ€™t link to views or subtypes (selected candidates).

You could create a second table for your selected candidates, filter + copy & paste those people (thatโ€™s only 1 action) and create a link to the new table.

Not ideal, but maybe not problematic too in this caseโ€ฆ :slightly_smiling_face:

Izaac_Post
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Another, very common use case:

You want someone to select the state, and then the city, in separate fields. Right now, selecting the state first means you would still see every city, not just the cities in the state, in the dropdown menu.