Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Record Duplication Detection, Deduping, and Duplicate Merging

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Aaron_Owen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to have a feature that would search a given table by a field or set of fields to find and surface duplicate rows. It would then be great to be able to take a pre-defined action on duplicated rows such as delete, or merge. Dealing with dupes is always a pain with large data sets or importing new data into a set where some records may already exist. A way to deal with dupes in a somewhat automated way would be really helpful.

93 Comments
Nicholas_Graha1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Here is another solution to this issue. It requires one relationship that you might already have.

Letโ€™s say you have two tables: Contacts and Companies and you want to detect duplicate Emails in the Contacts table. The initial structure should look something like this:

Contacts
Email | Company (Link to)

Company
Company Name | Emails (link to)

In the Contacts table weโ€™re going to add two columns, that we can later hide.

Col1: Rollup::Company::Emails with the function CONCATENATE(values)
Col2: Formula with the formula LEN({Col1}) != LEN(SUBSTITUTE({Col1},Email,"",2))

Hide these columns and create a conditional color change with the formula Where Col2 = 1 to create a highlight effect on duplicate emails.

Hope this can help someone else.

Donald_Newlands
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Christoff,
The fact that the โ€œKeyโ€ field can contain duplicates causes big problems for us when we convert columns of text to links - we canโ€™t be sure which record gets the link.
-Donald

Christoff
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Donald, Iโ€™m not sure why you directed your comment to me. I am not an Airtable employee and I canโ€™t solve the big problems that youโ€™re experiencing with duplicate records.

Dave_Thorne
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Just adding my +1 for a dupe detection feature, Iโ€™m using Zapier to bring in form data and donโ€™t want to duplicate contacts if they are already in the table.

Andrew_Johnson1
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi Everyone,

Just of the top of my headโ€ฆ
(This would be directed to the users more experienced with programming/coding)

A solution to this problem would be to use AIrtableโ€™s APIโ€ฆ
It allows you to create,delete etc records in Airtableโ€ฆ

eg. Use case

When you want to import data in from Google sheetsโ€ฆ
Use the Google SheetsAPI to store each record in a data structure(In case you are using JAVA to access the API you could use an ArrayList)
ONLY add the record in the data structure if a similar record does not exists.

After that you could loop over the data structure (which now consists of ONLY unique records) and use the Airtable API to insert it into a particular table.

R_Patel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

David Smedberg, Great workaround. Thanks!
I agree with Roger (ripwit) โ€ฆ this should be a full-fledged feature that includes duplicate detection by column and an ability to designate at least one more column (other than the first โ€œNameโ€ column) as primary, unique and not-null in every table. (Note: A number of other similar DBs do have this feature.)
It sure has taken Airtable to implement this feature a long time!

Joseph_DeVenut1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 here for a duplicates detection and possibly pre-defined actions when they are detected. This is casually usefully in SO MANY scenarios. Specifically, Iโ€™m using Airtable for asset tracking using barcodes, and would like to know if someone has attempted to use the same asset ID number twice.

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

This is ultimately an ask for data validation per field, against another field or linked field.

Donovan_Dikaio
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This feature looks like itโ€™s something the user base want and was requested back in early 2016โ€ฆ can we get an official answer from Airtable on whether or not its been approved?

2 yearsโ€ฆ

Leonardo_Cesar_
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

this is like copy-paste in the old iphones. a feature that is shameful not to have !!!