Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Specifying a starting number for an autonumber

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Polen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I’d like to be able to specify a value to start the autonumber, and even the interval. Of course, I can start at any number I want, as long as I create and then delete as many rows as needed :slightly_smiling_face: but a better solution would be welcome!!

11 Comments
Loir
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Polen, I agree. This is such a basic and obvious feature to have.

This is important when on-boarding to Airtable from another system. We used to have a manual log (e.g. for purchase orders). With Airtable we can make this on-line, so we want to continue from the next number. This should be simple - but is not.

Michael_Walzak
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Was there ever a solution for this? I have just started using this tool. It seems cool but I’m almost 7600 records in. I can’t have autonumber start over at 1

Polen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

You can use the autonumber field without worrying much-- simply hide it and instead have a calculated field that is 7600 (or whatever number) + {autonumer} (or whatever you called it). That’s one way around it.

Alex_Wolfe
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Here’s a suggestion. Make 3 columns:

1. A formula column
  2. An autonumber column
  3. Your desired starting number OR adjustment factor

Then, use column 1 (the formula) to add your column 2 auto number to your column 3 starting number (or adjustment factor).

It’s not as streamlined as your initial feature request, but it IS a work around that should accomplish what you need. (This may vary if you are trying to increment differently than +1, but a formula should still be possible to make this work)

tom_pandsmarine
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for the suggestion. This let me to reset autonumbers during testing without breaking formulas :thumbs_up:

Nick_Rivero
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes. Auto-numbering with a custom start number is hugely beneficial. We are currently having to type these numbers in manually each time.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Did you try the suggestion above from @Alex_Wolfe?

Kristen_Dimick
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you @Alex_Wolfe. This is helpful. As a non-tech-savvy person trying to work my way through this, your explanation makes sense. Now to see if I can pull it of…

Art_Lalog
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Credibles_Team
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Btw, you can work the starting number into the formula directly. Saves you one column.