Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

The ability to add a comment to any given field for any given record

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
David_Krizan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

What I would personally like is the ability to add a comment to any given field for any given record (akin to the cell-level comments that appear as red triangles in the corner of cells in Excel). There are times when I want to add additional or qualifying comments/notes at a field-level in records without cluttering up the view.

Excel examples:

Add comment

Comment indicator

On-hover

Edit comment

I merely want what could be considered a comment mode/layer that could be applied to any given cell in any given field in any given table. Excel, Google Sheets, and many other spreadsheet-based applications provide this functionality. The purpose is to be able to collaborate or add additional notes or comments in context without affecting the data in the cells themselves. This essentially requesting the same functionality that is currently available for adding field descriptions to field headers, but also allowing this at an individual cell level.

There are limitless use cases for this functionality:

• Carrying out a collaborative conversation
  • Providing an editorโ€™s note for a publicly shared table
  • Adding a comment about an outlier result in a data table
  • Adding notes about a set of images.
  • Adding a disclaimer
19 Comments
Geza_Molnar
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This is a separate feature request - Iโ€™d be glad to vote it up.

Dan_Emmerie
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks, sure! Inline comments the one thing keeping my whole organization from using it for writing content instead of Google Docs or Notion.

Nick
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree with this request. There are a lot of scenarios when comment to a single cell is necessary. :pray:

Is there any kind of vote for new features?

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We built a tool that allows you to turn a long text field into a comments field. Itโ€™s not an alternative but could be a solution.

Brandi_Bullock
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Here to also vote for this feature!

Adam_Workman

absolutely second this times 100000000!

Laura_Dipple-Jo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Absolutely another vote for this!

tombarnes
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

i thought this feature existed which is why i started with Airtable. definitely may have to rethink if this is not added soon.

jumbotron
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

yeah... I'm trying to move the team off sheets, so this feature is just so standard and simple that it will be missed