Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Timeline grouping

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi there!

I’d like to be able to group different records on one horizontal line or near each other as opposed to random. It would be awesome if this would work automagically by using grouping in the view.

This way you would e.g. be able to create single rows for segmented phases (different colors) of individual projects. One project would always be one line (or group) in this example.

Right now if you have more than one project with multiple phases (multiple records starting & ending neatly after each other) the lines are plotted all over the place.

In short I’d love to able to influence the horizontal position of records somehow.

Best,

Arthur.

14 Comments
badkerning
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I agree, this would make the timeline block much more useful!

drassi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

100% agreed—allowing grouping of timeline records by a Single Select or other field would be a massive improvement to the Timeline block! The ability to view parallel timelines with records displayed in separate “swim lanes” has many strong use cases—for our manufacturing case, we’d like to see our batches shown in a timeline on the L-R axis, but on the Up-Down axis, we’d like to see which piece of equipment each batch is going to occupy to aid in efficient scheduling.

The vis.js timeline component has this exact notion of “grouping”, see one group example and screenshot here:

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 1.01.31 AM.png

I’d estimate that adding such a feature to the airtable timeline block could make it about 5x as awesome, and came to post this request myself before I found this one. Thanks=

Bjorn_Aschim
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We’re in need of this for our scheduling as well to visualise available ‘seats’ and time slots in our office. We can’t really make the leap to airtable until something like this is implemented. Is there another way of doing this currently or a way to hack together something similar to this?

Heracles
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Katherine_Duh Any updates regarding this? Indeed its a really important functionality to make the timeline block usable in project tracking : )

Michael_Peart
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I just wanted to bump this request - it seems like the timeline feature is essentially missing swimlanes which makes this just not quite useful for those of use trying to separate out and show progress on concurrent, parallel initiatives.

Mel_Graves
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding my vote to have this feature added! It seems so random, where things end up on the timeline - I would love to be able to sort or group! I saw a number of other threads of people asking for the timeline to be made into a Gantt view, and I think that update would solve this too.

Russ_Somers
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding my vote as well - we need this feature added. Grouping by Type would be great, even drag and drop on the vertical axis would work.

Meghan_Murphy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding my voice here - having just set up our marketing campaigns overview with the intention of using the timeline view I unfortunately can’t use it :weary:

This would be a deal breaker for me moving the team over. Timeline views are really for executive overviews so as a feature investment this would directly impact your ability to upsell enterprise accounts.

Heracles
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Katherine_Duh Eagerly waiting for that glimpse of a feature to be deployed, it really becomes a stopgap! I understand that not exactly how Airtable works, but a roadmap of functionalities requested by the community would be a lovely way to show our voice matters : )

Kasra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@Meghan_Murphy @Heracles Hi! Have you tried out the gantt block? It’s similar to the timeline block, but it supports grouping (as well as task dependencies)

gantt.gif