Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

URL--Text to Display Feature

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samantha_Allema
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I think it would be nice to have the option to hyperlink with different text showing, like any basic HTML hyperlinking. Like I can even do in this forum if I needed to.

Visually, having the url just there isn’t appealing.

163 Comments
Noah_Steinberg
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Another +1 here. Seems like a no-brainer.

William_Ayer

Yup!

Here is an Airtable formula that builds a link search Amazon for a book listed in the “Title” field:
CONCATENATE(“amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=”, SUBSTITUTE(Title, " ", “+”))

William_Ayer

I used the CONCATENTATE feature to build up the required Amazon search URL (and SUBSTITUTE to replace spaces in the title with plus signs).

If the title of the book is “The Art of Racing in the Rain” the formula will generate the following URL:

Which will do a keyword search with that title on Amazon.

The generated URL would be A LOT PRETTIER if Airtable would let us generate links appeared as underlined text… but you can’t have everything! :winking_face:

Once you master this technique you can build links that do all sorts of handy things:

• Search for other books by an author
  • Search Amazon using a ISBN number (which you can read with the barcode scanner!)
  • Quicky see what technology was used to build a web site: https://builtwith.com/airtable.com
Tim_Stringer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another vote for this one. It’s the one feature that’s holding me back from fully embracing Airtable. Any ETA on when this will be implemented?

Tim_Stringer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please provide an example of how a formula can be used to produce a clickable URL. Thanks!

Jonathan_Yagel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi! Also interested in this capability! Thank you!

David_Iskander
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a way to lead a phone number? That would help a million!! :slightly_smiling_face:

William_Ayer

David, Not quite sure what you mean by “lead a phone number”, but there is currently a field type for phone number.

Create a new field of type “Phone Number” and 10 digit number you enter will be auto formatted.

e.g. 8005551212 becomes (800) 555-1212

If you want to override the US format you can enter your own formatting which will turn off auto format for that record.

Here is a GIF showing the feature in action.
(You might have to click the image to get it to play - depending on your browser / platform).

Kai_Soremekun
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’m not sure I’m clear how this works but since you’re using an Amazon example would love to know if I can make a formula work for my situation.

I have Amazon Brand pages I want to put in a column named BRAND.
The links are like this:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=w_bl_sl_s_ap_web_7141123011?ie=UTF8&node=7141123011&field-brandtextbin=...

When I enter that url in the cell in Airtable I would just like to see hyperlink text of the Brand name which is “Do Not touch My Natural Hair Shirts”

Is this possible based on your example?

Sam_Peret1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for custom link text