Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

URL--Text to Display Feature

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samantha_Allema
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I think it would be nice to have the option to hyperlink with different text showing, like any basic HTML hyperlinking. Like I can even do in this forum if I needed to.

Visually, having the url just there isn’t appealing.

163 Comments
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Please forgive the appearance of base and the meaningless table name. I only use this base for random tests.

Are you having problems running the script that I posted?

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Perfect - thanks. I am not near a computer today, so I was curious how these links looked.

dave_brand
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I made a quick video, how it behaves for me.

Regarding Links, I never made it working. I can type it in, copy and paste it in, update it by integromat/zapier. It’s just not working…

http://somup.com/cYf021itpi

While typing, the only things work are:

Headers, Lists, Blockquotes

It’s just not working as expected.

Quick Update, after futher testing
Finally links are working for me in Integromat / Zapier

Only thing you need to do, put the reference in a new line…

[I'm an inline-style link][1]
[1]: https://www.google.com
Adolfo_Ferreira
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Why airtable doesn’t enables rich text formatting for formulas fields and solves this in a brilliant way :slightly_smiling_face:

Stephen_Suen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Update (June 25, 2020): The button field is now available for all users — read more in our launch blog post: https://blog.airtable.com/now-available-button-field

:wave: Hey all! I’m thrilled to announce that we’re launching the beta for button field, a new field type that allows you to create buttons that trigger customizable actions. Our first action is open URL, which lets you open links based on a URL formula. You can use this to do things like:

• Send emails
  • Open Airtable forms with prefilled records
  • Create Google Calendar invites
  • Open JIRA tickets
  • Post tweets
  • And much more!

In addition, you can customize the label and style of the buttons.

Open URL buttons in grid view

Button field settings

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Holy moly!! THIS IS INCREDIBLE NEWS!!! I’m bouncing off the walls over here!! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: :star: :thumbs_up: :tada: :star2: :dizzy:

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Y’all I swear Airtable is my fav anything right now. A Button field is a great interpretation of this request, with far more applicability.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I’m really delighted to see how happy this makes everyone, and I agree, it is a useful capability that addresses a void in the Airtable feature set. However, I see a number of issues with this approach not the least of which is the fundamental vernacular, a trajectory that has always troubled me about Airtable.

Raining on the Parade…

Do not read any further if you want to have a long and restful holiday weekend. :winking_face:

Setting aside the new functionality that this makes available, how do you feel about the idea that a “button” is a “field”?

Just saying the term “button field” seems wrong. And to be clear, it’s not worse (or better) than a “formula field”. Isn’t a button an “action” that you attach to a field? Indeed, an action that you should be able to attach to ANY field? Isn’t a formula a functional “attribute” that you should be able to apply to ANY field?

Buttons and formulas are not representatives or proxies for data values, so why are they structurally “fields” in the data tables? The short answer, of course, is that these actions are fundamentally treated like data values and because of this, it rules out the idea that an image might also be a button. Or that string might act as a button.

Unlike other spreadsheet platforms, the data cells in Airtable do not have “depth”; the idea that any given cell may support a variety of attributes such as a button action, or a formula, or both.

Like all of you, when I see new possibilities, such as this new “button field” [oops, I just puked a little in my mouth] I want to be excited but I know what may be coming - more field types that are not really fields.

Shouldn’t EVERY field support button actions?

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

They’re going to add more actions in the future, which is why “Open URL” is a dropdown. In its initial incarnation it is better than a formula field because there’s styling options included that formula fields don’t have. Also if we’re going to split hairs Airtable is not at all a “spreadsheet platform”. It’s a database. I don’t see why a Date field would need to also somehow be a button.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

But, it already is, isn’t it? You click it and it has an “action” - i.e., display a calendar. Ideally, you should be able to display a custom calendar, or integrate the “action” with your own calendar.