Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

URL--Text to Display Feature

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Samantha_Allema
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I think it would be nice to have the option to hyperlink with different text showing, like any basic HTML hyperlinking. Like I can even do in this forum if I needed to.

Visually, having the url just there isnโ€™t appealing.

163 Comments
Noah_Steinberg
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Another +1 here. Seems like a no-brainer.

William_Ayer

Yup!

Here is an Airtable formula that builds a link search Amazon for a book listed in the โ€œTitleโ€ field:
CONCATENATE(โ€œamazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=โ€, SUBSTITUTE(Title, " ", โ€œ+โ€))

William_Ayer

I used the CONCATENTATE feature to build up the required Amazon search URL (and SUBSTITUTE to replace spaces in the title with plus signs).

If the title of the book is โ€œThe Art of Racing in the Rainโ€ the formula will generate the following URL:

Which will do a keyword search with that title on Amazon.

The generated URL would be A LOT PRETTIER if Airtable would let us generate links appeared as underlined textโ€ฆ but you canโ€™t have everything! :winking_face:

Once you master this technique you can build links that do all sorts of handy things:

• Search for other books by an author
  • Search Amazon using a ISBN number (which you can read with the barcode scanner!)
  • Quicky see what technology was used to build a web site: https://builtwith.com/airtable.com
Tim_Stringer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another vote for this one. Itโ€™s the one feature thatโ€™s holding me back from fully embracing Airtable. Any ETA on when this will be implemented?

Tim_Stringer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please provide an example of how a formula can be used to produce a clickable URL. Thanks!

Jonathan_Yagel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi! Also interested in this capability! Thank you!

David_Iskander
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a way to lead a phone number? That would help a million!! :slightly_smiling_face:

William_Ayer

David, Not quite sure what you mean by โ€œlead a phone numberโ€, but there is currently a field type for phone number.

Create a new field of type โ€œPhone Numberโ€ and 10 digit number you enter will be auto formatted.

e.g. 8005551212 becomes (800) 555-1212

If you want to override the US format you can enter your own formatting which will turn off auto format for that record.

Here is a GIF showing the feature in action.
(You might have to click the image to get it to play - depending on your browser / platform).

Kai_Soremekun
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Iโ€™m not sure Iโ€™m clear how this works but since youโ€™re using an Amazon example would love to know if I can make a formula work for my situation.

I have Amazon Brand pages I want to put in a column named BRAND.
The links are like this:
โ€œhttps://www.amazon.com/s/ref=w_bl_sl_s_ap_web_7141123011?ie=UTF8&node=7141123011&field-brandtextbin=...โ€

When I enter that url in the cell in Airtable I would just like to see hyperlink text of the Brand name which is โ€œDo Not touch My Natural Hair Shirtsโ€

Is this possible based on your example?

Sam_Peret1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for custom link text