Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Use Regex to extract info form text

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc_Evrard
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

First Airtable. is. awesome. I which I knew about it before to help organize my work.
Something I feel is missing though is a more powerful approach to deal with string-based functions.
For instance, it would be great to be able to use RegEx in the FIND or SUBSTITUTE functions.
A use case, e.g., is the extraction of part of a URL to use it as a primary key. It would allow me to name automatically a bunch of website links I wanna store.

I.e., there’s a REGEXEXTRACT function in Google Sheet, this is extremely useful for numerous of applications.

23 Comments
Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

BUMP … please please please, can we have REGEX_MATCH() return an integer count of the matches found, instead of the boolean true/false? Such functionality would make my log parsing table a dream to work with.

Ambroise_Dhenai
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I’m surprised REGEX_EXTRACT returns an ERROR when no match is found.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

It’s similar to how the DATETIME_FORMAT() function returns an error when trying to format a date from an empty date field. As such, it doesn’t surprise me, though that doesn’t make it any less annoying. It just becomes one of those “this is how Airtable works” things that you have to log away for future reference. Similar to looking for a date before trying to format it, you have to look for a match with REGEX_MATCH() before trying to extract it.