Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

We still need a simple TITLE CASE (PROPER) function alongside UPPER and LOWER

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Markus_Wernig
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Users have been calling for a simple TITLE CASE / PROPER function since 2016.

And I know, there is @Bill.Frenchโ€™s wonderful script - Field Tweaker - that allows you to reformat a field as either UPPER, LOWER, or TITLE CASE.

However, the script doesnโ€™t work when the field is a computed field, as it is in my case.

The fields I need text formatting control over are computed from different sources. I need versions of those fields that are UPPER CASE - which is easily achieved via the UPPER() function - but I also need TITLE CASE versions (for reasons I donโ€™t want to bore anyone with).

Again, if there was a standard PROPER() function in Airtable, this would be a piece of cake.
I am sure I am not alone with this request.

14 Comments
Joe_Svingala
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

100% Agreed!

I ended up working around the issue you are encountering with the calculated field by creating an automation that would take my calculated field & re-enter it in another field as plain text - I then use Field Tweaker to Proper Case my entries. The problem with this is that I am then waiting for the script to be applied across 10,000+ lines, rather then the formula tackling it from the start.

Miles_Mattison
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Very much needed! 80 views in two weeks, help us Airtable!

Christopher_Can
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Iโ€™ll add to the chorus, would love this functionality.

Curtis_Gabhart_
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes please, I just imported a bunch of data and realize itโ€™s all screwy and need proper caps etc.

gxjansen
5 - Automation Enthusiast

@Markus_Wernig @Joe_Svingala @Miles_Mattison @Christopher_Cantrall @Curtis_Gabhart_CCIM you can use the formula below (instead of creating many columns to achieve this):

REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(REGEX_REPLACE(LOWER({YOUR FIELD NAME}), "^a", "A"), "^b", "B"), "^c", "C"), "^d", "D"), "^e", "E"), "^f", "F"), "^g", "G"), "^h", "H"), "^i", "I"), "^j", "J"), "^k", "K"), "^l", "L"), "^m", "M"), "^n", "N"), "^o", "O"), "^p", "P"), "^q", "Q"), "^r", "R"), "^s", "S"), "^t", "T"), "^u", "U"), "^v", "V"), "^w", "W"), "^x", "X"), "^y", "Y"), "^z", "Z"), " a", " A"), " b", " B"), " c", " C"), " d", " D"), " e", " E"), " f", " F"), " g", " G"), " h", " H"), " i", " I"), " j", " J"), " k", " K"), " l", " L"), " m", " M"), " n", " N"), " o", " O"), " p", " P"), " q", " Q"), " r", " R"), " s", " S"), " t", " T"), " u", " U"), " v", " V"), " w", " W"), " x", " X"), " y", " Y"), " z", " Z")
Hendrik_Yang
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

My gosh! Thanks a lot!

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Thatโ€™s impressive, and yet somehow it makes me both happy and sad at the same time.

Kyrstin_Graves

Apologies in advance if any of this doesnโ€™t make sense, Iโ€™ve been playing with scripting, automations, and formulas for the past 6 hours.

Iโ€™m not sure exactly what your need is for Title Case, but I was determined to fix my issue regarding Title Case using a formula.

One of my bases is an ATS where people fill out an application/pre-screening questionnaire that has separate fields for First Name and Last Name. I was using a CONCANTENATE formula to have a Full Name field, but sometimes applicantโ€™s input their names in all caps or all lower case.

The Formula:
UPPER(LEFT({First Name}, 1)) & LOWER(MID({First Name}, 2, 20)) & " " & UPPER(LEFT({Last Name}, 1)) & LOWER(MID({Last Name}, 2, 20))

I used UPPER to capitalize and LEFT to grab the first letter of the word in the First Name field. I then used LOWER to uncapitalize and MID to start with the second letter of the word in the First Name field. The 20 is probably more characters than I will ever have in that field, but I set it to pull apply to the next 20 letters just in case. Then I used โ€˜& " " &โ€™ to add a space and then followed the exact same formula to edit the First Name fields and applied it to the Last Name fields.

Depending on your use case, youโ€™ll probably need to edit other fields or formulas, or add/change some parameters, but I hope this is helpful!

Paul_Christy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks so much for this! Now if we can just get a simpler function in Airtable โ€ฆ

Eric_Mane
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you for this! Extremely helpful and I hope I donโ€™t run into a name where there is more than 20 characters in either parameter