Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

What's the plan post-Amazon outage?

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Hashim_Warren
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Will we get a way to create automated backups of our bases?

I was pulling data for a report when the outage happen. I explained to my boss why the holdup happened and he looked at me like I was speaking gibberish.

It dawned on me that Iโ€™m using Airtable for more and more of the business, but I donโ€™t have an automated way to save a backup.

I hope youโ€™ll consider making this a priority.

3 Comments
Jan_Salomonsson
5 - Automation Enthusiast
Victoria_Hay
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Hashim,

Although weโ€™ve already taken a number of steps to limit our dependence on any given piece of infrastructureโ€”which is why we were able to avoid going down completely in the way services like Trello didโ€”weโ€™re still undergoing an architectural review of our Amazon dependencies to design and prepare for mitigation of such infrastructural issues in the future. In the meantime, there are already a few options you might consider with regard to automated backups:

You can currently download a CSV of the records in any view in Airtable. If youโ€™d like to have a regular backup, Iโ€™d recommend creating a โ€œbackupโ€ view for each table with no hidden fields or filters, so that you can easily export every record in that table on a regular basis. The ability to export a full base is also on our roadmap.

You can also use the Airtable API to schedule automatic backups at the time interval of your choice.

Thanks,

Victoria

Bruno_Carvalho

While it is possible to use the API to backup everything, it is not practical since there is no way of listing all the bases from the API.

A simple solution would be a link that downloaded all the CSV of all the tables/bases in a zipped format. Not perfect, but good enough.

Another way could be a zipped file with all the data in JSON format.

Thinking about it, it doesnโ€™t seem to be so complicated to implement.