Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

What's the plan post-Amazon outage?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hashim_Warren
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Will we get a way to create automated backups of our bases?

I was pulling data for a report when the outage happen. I explained to my boss why the holdup happened and he looked at me like I was speaking gibberish.

It dawned on me that I’m using Airtable for more and more of the business, but I don’t have an automated way to save a backup.

I hope you’ll consider making this a priority.

3 Comments
Jan_Salomonsson
5 - Automation Enthusiast
Victoria_Hay
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Hashim,

Although we’ve already taken a number of steps to limit our dependence on any given piece of infrastructure—which is why we were able to avoid going down completely in the way services like Trello did—we’re still undergoing an architectural review of our Amazon dependencies to design and prepare for mitigation of such infrastructural issues in the future. In the meantime, there are already a few options you might consider with regard to automated backups:

You can currently download a CSV of the records in any view in Airtable. If you’d like to have a regular backup, I’d recommend creating a “backup” view for each table with no hidden fields or filters, so that you can easily export every record in that table on a regular basis. The ability to export a full base is also on our roadmap.

You can also use the Airtable API to schedule automatic backups at the time interval of your choice.

Thanks,

Victoria

Bruno_Carvalho

While it is possible to use the API to backup everything, it is not practical since there is no way of listing all the bases from the API.

A simple solution would be a link that downloaded all the CSV of all the tables/bases in a zipped format. Not perfect, but good enough.

Another way could be a zipped file with all the data in JSON format.

Thinking about it, it doesn’t seem to be so complicated to implement.