30777 32
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jocelyn_Piazza
5 - Automation Enthusiast

If the cell is BLANK I want it to show up as blank in the field rather than ERROR

For example: IF ({Date of Donation} = BLANK()," “) but this isn’t working and right now I do not have the if statement so it is showing up as error.

I also want another IF statement that says : IF {{First Name} & {Last Name} = BLANK(), " {Organization }"}

So if the first name and last name are blank enter the organization name instead.

32 Replies 32
Jocelyn_Piazza

When I added your formula and tried to save it, it wound’t let me even save it because it wasn’t formatted correctly.

No all the fields do not have a first name and last name. Thats why I need another IF statement that says IF first name and last name are blank then put organization name.

When I added your formula and tried to save it, it wound’t let me even save it because it wasn’t formatted correctly.

No all the fields do not have a first name and last name. Thats why I need another IF statement that says IF first name and last name are blank then put organization name.

I see what happened: When you paste my formula, it changes the single quotes in ‘MM/DD/YY’ to smart quotes. (The first one is angled up to the left and the second one is up to the right.)
Try pasting again and change the single quotes to get ‘MM/DD/YY’.

Here’s the formula that also takes into account first and last names:
IF({Date of Donation},
IF(AND({First Name},{Last Name}),
DATETIME_FORMAT({Date of Donation}, ‘MM/DD/YY’) & " | " & {First Name} & " " & {Last Name},
DATETIME_FORMAT({Date of Donation}, ‘MM/DD/YY’) & " | " & Organization)," ")

It doesn’t check to make sure that there’s an organization.

I still can’t get it to work?

Also Organization is a field so shouldn’t it be {Organization}

No. Only field names with multiple words need to be wrapped in braces. See Formula field reference.

“I still can’t get it to work?”

Sorry to hear that. It works for me.
I don’t have any other suggestions.

I still found styled quotes in several of the most recent examples above. I cleaned those up, and optimized the formula a little more. Try this:

IF(
    {Date of Donation},
    DATETIME_FORMAT({Date of Donation}, 'MM/DD/YY') & " | " &
    IF(
        AND({First Name},{Last Name}),
        {First Name} & " " & {Last Name},
        Organization
    )
)

Jocelyn_Piazza

Thank you for your help but it still isn’t working?

Just to clarify I want the code to say if the first name and last name cells are blank then type the organization name. and if the date of donation is blank type a blank space.