Community Introductions ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿผ

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jordan_Scott1
Airtable Alumni (Retired)

Hi Community Friends!

My name is Jordan and I am the new Community leader at Airtable. I am beyond thrilled to be here and wanted to introduce myself, but first I wanted to say thank you to everyone here for your ongoing passion for Airtable, it means more than we could say.

Before we get into the plans we have for Community at Airtable, hereโ€™s a bit about me so we can start to get to know each other. Iโ€™m about 5 weeks in at Airtable after spending the last 7 years building the Community at Tableau. Iโ€™m a Seattle native, and in true PNW fashion, am an avid hiker, forever Seattle Sonics fan, and travel enthusiast to escape the rainy season, although ironically I think London is my favorite city on earth. Iโ€™m also a lover of live music, fitness, art museums, and cooking - COVID-19 really helped me fine tune my skills (my cat was also a fan). I would love for you to introduce yourself below as well!

A few things that are top of mind:

• We absolutely acknowledge that the current community experience and feedback mechanism could be improved. There are big changes coming! But big changes take time, so please be patient with us over the next year. We think itโ€™ll be worth the wait.
  • If you are interested in helping us shape the future of the Airtable Community, please nominate yourself (or someone else who inspires you!) to help provide feedback along the way. We hope to build a community we can all be proud of, and to do that we need the voices of the community involved in the process. Selection announcements will be made in October 2021.
  • Friendly reminder that the community is not attached to Airtable support and tagging of employees does not guarantee a response. We do our best to capture everything shared, but appreciate your understanding that we canโ€™t respond to every post.
  • A huge shout out and thank you to @Rose_K, @Adam_Minich, and @Jason for all the goodness they bring to the community - it wouldnโ€™t be the same without their efforts!

We will be sharing updates as we go and I canโ€™t wait to see what weโ€™re going to be able to build together. If anyone wants to set up 15 minutes to chat and say hi, feel free to send me a direct message! Thank you again for all your contributions to date - I genuinely believe that we are just getting started.

11 Comments
Olpy_Acaflo
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hi @Jordan_Scott1 and welcome!

Iโ€™ll a little bit later introduce myself more during a longer break of mine (What job and why is Airtable needed in my job?) even if I often remind that I donโ€™t touch much formulas but a lot of javascript in Airtable and in Google App Script.
Here is where it came from !

Thank you and congratulations for your Message, I share your optimism and your request to give time to do things.

I am becoming eventually my own โ€œAirtable Consultantโ€ (1) since I finally discovered Airtable just 4 years ago because I was convinced that someone must have published such a tool and even more than I imagined when I discovered Airtable but I was not searching with the right keywords so I was walking in circles around Airtable without seeing it!

So I am my own Client, which gives me a limited view of only one set of use-cases, mine, so I find out all the more about what other Community Members are doing with Airtable, the questions they are asking and the results they are getting from helping each other.

On the other hand, I usually โ€œown the time to do Airtable related thingsโ€, and so I sometimes take the time to deepen an experiment, a test, an alternative way hunt to the end of what is possible for me at a given time, before coming back sometimes later with an improved experience, new features from Airtable : an improvement that breaks new ground.

The only time I still lack is the time to convert my digital notebooks into reports readable by others, but Iโ€™m working on it to share my experiences with others in a concise, understandable and even pleasant way, why not? To achieve this I still need some time!

olฯ€

(1) : inspired, trained, improved by the best Consultants and Experts from the Community: I canโ€™t thank them enough.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Thank you for introducing yourself to the community! We are excited to have you here.

Could you please clarify your title? This forum software has a Community Leader badge that has been granted to community members (not Airtable staff) that have made major contributions to the community, although no new โ€œcommunity leadersโ€ have been made since August of 2019. These people are often mistaken for Airtable staff, and it would help if your title was not so similar to the forum badge name.

Can you explain a bit more what position you are gathering nominations for? What will be asked or expected of nominations? How will you decide which of these nominees will be selected? What will Airtable provide to those who are selected?

Jordan_Scott1

@kuovonne great point - iโ€™m the head of community officially, and will be building out a community team over time to support a variety of programs to come in the coming years. Hopefully thatโ€™s helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

And absolutely! We will be selecting individuals for interviews to start โ€“ to talk about things like where they would like to see the community go in the future, what resources would have been helpful/would still be helpful, to provide insight on other communities they love and why, etc. We will be looking to put together a diverse group when it comes to backgrounds, use cases, industries, and even current community involvement. I want to make sure what we will be building is something the broader community is excited about! From there we will figure out whatโ€™s next with that group, I can see a world where we ask people to provide feedback in an ongoing way or even formalize an official recognition program around it - it will all depend on the group and the level of involvement everyone wants to have. So more details to come on that front!

Jordan_Scott1

@Olpy_Acaflo Thanks so much for sharing and great to virtually meet you - excited to connect more in the future. Thank you for all your contributions already! I look forward to connecting more :slightly_smiling_face:

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome, Jordan! :wave: Great to have you here! Youโ€™ve definitely got my attention with what you wrote in your intro message, and Iโ€™m looking forward to seeing where this community goes under your guidance.

Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Hi @Jordan_Scott1! I already mentioned the hope to see you here on LinkedIn, but Iโ€™m glad I can also welcome you here. Looking forward to the -no doubt positive- changes that are coming our way on this forum. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

Adam_Minich
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Jordan_Scott1

So excited to have you working in this space as a dedicated connector between Airtable and the community!

Just a quick re-introduction for myself:

• Started with Airtable in April 2020 as a Customer Support Advocate
  • Moved into a new role March 2021 as a technical writer covering our customer-facing support content
  • Former park ranger @ Yosemite National Park
  • Hiker, runner, musician, gardener, mechanic, DIY builder

Have a great day everyone!

Jordan_Scott1

Looking forward to connecting @Databaser - thank you for the warm welcome! :tada:

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hey, this is an exciting post, thanks for sharing @Jordan_Scott1

Iโ€™ve been using Airtable for odds and ends privately since 2016, and then helped with gearing Airtable Professional at my previous organisation.

Now days I operate as a consultant and use Airtable to manage the majority of my business affairs - and itโ€™s sooo close to being perfect, but misses the mark on what would appear to be simple problems to overcome, yet in reality they are real show stoppers (and destroyers of productivity - where youโ€™d assume something takes 1 minute to setup, and turns out after 4 years of discussion and head banging thereโ€™s still no real solutionโ€ฆ) due to the lacking features/functionality - most of which I might add have been discussed in great detail here on these forums for years and years.

But onwards and upwards! Progress is great, and Iโ€™m keen to see what the coming months bring both to Airtable and the Community.

Rose_K
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hey all!

Iโ€™m so excited to have @Jordan_Scott1 here and canโ€™t wait to see all the amazing things sheโ€™ll help build in, and with, the Community!

Iโ€™ve been in the Community for a while, but I just realized Iโ€™ve never introduced myself. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Iโ€™m Rose, and Iโ€™ve been working as a Technical Writer here at Airtable for about five months now. I work with Adam on writing documentation in the Support Center.

Some fun facts about me:

• Iโ€™ve was a dog walker for three years for a small local company. My personal dog walking record was 23 dogs off-leash at once :paw_prints:
  • I attended, taught at, and wrote curriculum for a coding boot camp
  • In my personal time I enjoy reading, video games, anime, and listening to too many podcasts

Looking forward to many more conversations with you all in the future,

• Rose :sparkles: