Forms in Interface Designer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emily_Sermons
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Airtable Community! :wave: I’m Emily, a product manager for Airtable’s Interfaces team. I’m so excited to announce a new feature that is available today: Interface Forms!

What are Interface forms?
Interface forms are an easy way to create new records directly in Interfaces. Using the full power of the Interface Designer layout engine, you can customize exactly what information you’d like your users to enter each time they create a new record.

How can I access Interface forms?
There are two ways to create a new form:

1. Create a full-screen form using the new form layout. This should be available any time you create a new page in an Interface.
  2. You can add forms to existing pages that include a Record List or a Record Picker. Select either of these elements and toggle “Allow users to create new records” in the properties panel. From there, you can configure your form modal.

Who can use these forms?
Any user who has access to your Interface can access the forms you make to create new records. Stay tuned for more updates on Permissions in Interface Designer coming this fall.

Is this meant to replace Form view in the base?
Using the Form view in the base is still a great way to collect information from users who do not have an Airtable account. Interface forms are meant to be an easy way to create new records directly from an Interface.

What can I expect next?
The team is working on a lot of exciting updates to Interface Designer in the coming months, including: improvements to Interface forms, new button types, Navigation, Permissions, and more! We always love to hear what you want to see more of, and happy to answer any questions.

Interface Designer Contest
I also hope to see many of you make use of this new feature in the Interface Designer Contest. Because this feature is being rolled out a bit later than anticipated, I’m excited to share that we will be extending the Interface Designer Contest deadline by 2 weeks - you will now have until August 12 to get in your submissions. I’ll be one of the judges and can’t wait to see what you all create! More details about the contest can be found here.

This update is available now. If you aren’t seeing these changes reflected, please try clearing your cache.

50 Comments
Russell_Bishop1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Huge step! Thank you for this.

Am I to understand that bringing in the usual Forms functionality like conditional fields is under the umbrella of ‘improvements to Interface forms’?

Jose_Alberto_Fu
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks @Emily_Sermons

Nice indeed, but what about sharing this new forms? A form available just for Airtable users is not a great scenario.

Hope there’s a huge surprise at the end of the interfaces roadmap. The community is claiming for some kind of sharing options for all this…. Without giving access to the database.

Joe_Hewes
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Nice one! Can’t wait to try this one out, gonna save some switching in and out of web pages for my flows :stuck_out_tongue:

egordin
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

This is great - thank you so much! Is there any way to assign a default value to fields, ideally with a [[current user]] option?

Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

God, I just want the edible shared views we had for like 30 minutes a couple of months back. Having to create an interface for all of this is just time consuming.

Emily_Sermons
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

That’s right! Conditional logic is one of the improvements we’re working on this year, as well as even more features that don’t currently exist in form view today (like advanced validation).

Emily_Sermons
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I hear you, and thanks for the feedback! Our team has been working very hard over the last year on enabling Permissions in Interfaces, allowing you to share the Interface separately from the underlying base. This functionality is coming a bit later in the fall, and is just the beginning of granular sharing capabilities in Interfaces.

Emily_Sermons
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Not at this time, but prefilled values is something we hope to tackle in an upcoming release! Will keep you posted.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I would love this, too!

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Pre-filled values, default values, the ability to create a record via API that works with default values, or allows for the targeting of a specific view for record creation (as view filters act like pre-filled values at least in the GUI) are most certainly needed.

And the moment that I can create an Interface form and share it with Non-Airtable account holders for data entry is an absolute game changer (or at least, AT users with a free account).

This is progress - well done Airtable devs. :icecream: I’ll have a tinker with this today. :+1:t3: