1367 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TailoredTouches
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi. I’ve set up a few automations with no problems, but I am not sure how to do this one… or if it can be done.

I have an AutoDate column, so when a form entry comes in, it auto-dates the entry of the form. However, I need to then copy that date over to another column (also called Date). That second column, called Date, is used in another formula in the sheet, and I need to be able to edit it (in a way I cannot edit the AutoDate column). But since they are the same 95% of the time, it would save me time if it could auto-populate.

So, in short, how can I automate copying date from the Auto-Date field to the Date field? Is this possible?

5 Replies 5

You could add a formula field that uses something like:

DATETIME_PARSE({Auto-Date}, 'M/D/YYYY')

It copies the info in the AutoDate field and then formats however you need.

Here’s all the info on DATETIME_PARSE

If you need to set specific locales, view this article

If you want a way to copy a single or multiple fields, you can also check out our On2Air Actions app - specifically the Copy Field function

If you use Actions, you also get an additional 60+ features that integrate with Airtable.

Features like creating Google Docs automatically with Airtable data, bulk create, edit, or delete multiple records, set default field values, copy fields, perform financial calculations, sync Google Sheets, and more.

You should be able to use an Airtable “Updare Record” automation to copy the date from one field to another.

Thank you. Yes, I am trying to sort out HOW to set up the automation. I get stuck on the last step. How do I tell it to copy the date from another field?

In the screenshot, I’ve inserted the AutoDate field under the Date field, but it won’t let me test the automation so I assume it’s set up improperly…

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 9.18.30 PM

The inability to test a step doesn’t mean that the step is set up incorrectly. It just means that you haven’t successfully tested all prior steps that come before it. Each step must be tested separately, and later steps can’t be tested before testing prior steps. Also remember that if you change the configuration of your table, or any of the data related to the automation trigger, you’ll need to re-test everything from the trigger on down to ensure that it works with your changes.

The setup in your screenshot looks correct. Once you’ve tested the prior steps, I’m pretty sure that this one will work.

TailoredTouches

Thank you! It worked!!!