Help

Automated grouping but additionally need the reverse...

1841 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisberry
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi there!

I've created and automation that does the following when a record getting updated...

1. Watches FIELD A for update (which I do a copy/delete/paste of 50 records to trigger)
  2. Finds all records where FIELD A contains FIELD A (identical names)
  3. Updates FIELD F with a list of values FIELD B using FIELD A matches (x50)
  4. Updates FIELD E with a list of values from FIELD C using filed A matches (x50)
  5. Updates FIELD G with a list of values from FIELD D using filed A matches (x50)

Here's where I need support figuring the next part out...
Once the above automation runs and I then update 1 record in FIELD A the automation will still run but only tweaking that 1 record accordingly...

1. Watches FIELD A for update
  2. Finds all records where FIELD A contains FIELD A (identical names)
  3. Updates FIELD F with a list of values FIELD B using FIELD A matches (x1)
  4. Updates FIELD E with a list of values from FIELD C using filed A matches (x1)
  5. Updates FIELD G with a list of values from FIELD D using filed A matches (x1)

What I need it to do is rescan all 50 records and adjust FIELD F, FIELD E, FIELD G based on the edits.
So in the attached example if I change record 1 (Test 6) to (Test 5) the automation will update record 1 to add the values from records 5 ...

Record 1 - Value1_Group to CAT and BIRD (added BIRD)
Record 1 - Value2_Group to 0001 and 0005 (added 005)
Record 1 - Value3_Group to Skates (no change)

I also want it to also rescan all the records and update accordingly so in this case records 5 would get the new record 1 group values

Record 5 - Value1_Group to CAT and BIRD (added CAT)
Record 5 - Value2_Group to 0001 and 0005 (added 001)
Record 5 - Value3_Group to Skates (added Skates)

Screenshots of first bulk record update and 2nd with only record 1 update for demo purposes.

3 Replies 3

Hello! This seems like a fairly simple solution by splitting into two tables and using the "Link to another record" field. One table for collecting data entries. Another table for displaying the collected data utilizing the "Look Up" or "Roll Up" field types. This should in theory do exactly what you're looking for without automations.

This would then also not have a trigger point for summing up the data. If you're looking to have more control over the trigger point, I'm sure there are additional steps we could add.

Let me know if you want me to go into further detail on the two tables 🙂

Justin Ng
Programme Coordinator at Sistema Aotearoa
https://www.sistemaaotearoa.org.nz/
chrisberry
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi there!

Thanks for the response. After thinking through your comment I looked around and engineered a solution but am stuck on one part and wondering if it's even possible.

Table 23  - is the data.

• Check Dup = Link between tables
  • Array_Letter = Rollup from [Table 23 copy]
  • Listof_Name = Is a formula field that I'd like to be an ARRAYJOIN of all the {Name} that have duplicate {Letter}. Formula below plus screenshot...

IF({Check Dup} = BLANK(),"",
    IF(
    LEN({Array_Letter}) - LEN(SUBSTITUTE({Array_Letter},Letter,"")) > LEN(Letter), ARRAYJOIN(Name,BLANK()
    )
    ))

Table 23 copy - is the duplication checker

• Link to Table 23 = Link between tables
  • ArrayJoin = Rollup from [Table 23] that creates a list of {Name_Group} 

Ah yes. So I think what I mean is actually to have one Table 23 as a data collector, and then Table 24 as the data display. It does mean that the data in Table 23 is a bit messy, but that shouldn't matter too much.

I've made a template for you to check out. Again, I'm not sure if this is the solution you're looking for.

https://www.airtable.com/universe/expUbopxZfVlKeAJm/for-chrisberry

Justin Ng
Programme Coordinator at Sistema Aotearoa
https://www.sistemaaotearoa.org.nz/