cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jesse_Bayer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there,
On a fairly large table, after I fill out some hand entered data, I’ll need to duplicate each row 3 to 4 times. This becomes tedious after the 20th copy and invites human error. Is there a way to select a bulk of rows and have them all copied as many time as requested?

5 Replies 5

Hello @Jesse_Bayer!

I believe what you are looking to do could be built out using an Airtable Automation! If you look at this guide it can provide an example of how this workflow might go.

You could set up a chain of automations to duplicate records as many time as you need by creating a field representing the number of duplications needed . With each automation run you could then decrement that number, having set automations for each number, and then having each automation decrement the number after copying the row. Another way to go about this would be to write a customer script (this way would probably be less error prone as well).

Let me know if I can help provide any more information, and if this helped answer your question please mark it as the solution :white_check_mark: .

If you do not want an automation or a script, you could manually create the 20 records, then use the drag handles to copy down all the values you need.

Hi Rose, thanks for the response. I tried to follow the guide but I think I’m missing the bigger concept; not sure where there duplication action is generated from a field.

Hi Kuovonne,
that is what I’m currently doing and it’s issue prone. If I could drag multiple lines simultaneously, that could be a solution.

Thanks,

it is possible to drag multiple lines. Arrange the fields you want to copy down so that they are next to each other. Select the grid of cells to copy. Then drag down. It may take some experimenting to find the exact set of mouse clicks that work for your exact situation. Note that if your records are grouped, dragging down won’t extend beyond the current group.

Of course, human error is still possible. The best way to reduce human error is to have the duplication performed with a script. If you do not feel up to writing a script, there are some free scripts that you can try to adapt, or (if you have budget) you can hire a script writer such as myself.