cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,

I am trying to set up an automation that sends an email when a record is updated, but only if it is updated via our Mini Extensions add on.

We ask people to submit via an Airtable form with information that is TBC, and when the record is created, we can ask people to update anything via Mini Extensions so that they don't have to log in or have an Airtable account.

It would be great to know when someone has updated the record through the Mini Extensions form, as currently I can only set up an automation when a record is changed at all - this would be inappropriate as we are updating the records ourselves all the time.

The condition options in automations for 'send an email > when a record is updated > if conditions are met' do not have the condition I am hoping for; any advice appreciated.

Cheers

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Sachin_191
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Let's set up an automation to send an email when a record is updated specifically via Mini Extensions. We'll use a hidden field in your Airtable form that gets updated only through Mini Extensions. By tracking changes to this field, we can trigger the email notification precisely when needed.

1. Add a hidden field in the Airtable form (e.g., "MiniExtensionsUpdate").
  2. Configure Mini Extensions to update this field when changes are made.
  3. Set up an Airtable automation to trigger when the "MiniExtensionsUpdate" field is modified.

See Solution in Thread

oh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you for your reply; I didn't use a hidden field, but I took this concept and set up the following:

1. Added a 'Last updated by mini-extensions' field 
2. Added this field as a required question at the end of the mini-extensions form: "select today's date to send a notification of your updated record"
3. Set up an automation to send an email 'when a record is updated' only watching the 'Last updated by mini-extensions field'

I had originally set the field up as a check-box (tick this to send a notification), but using the date format instead means if someone updates their record again, it will send a new email. 

Thanks! 

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Sachin_191
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Let's set up an automation to send an email when a record is updated specifically via Mini Extensions. We'll use a hidden field in your Airtable form that gets updated only through Mini Extensions. By tracking changes to this field, we can trigger the email notification precisely when needed.

1. Add a hidden field in the Airtable form (e.g., "MiniExtensionsUpdate").
  2. Configure Mini Extensions to update this field when changes are made.
  3. Set up an Airtable automation to trigger when the "MiniExtensionsUpdate" field is modified.
oh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you for your reply; I didn't use a hidden field, but I took this concept and set up the following:

1. Added a 'Last updated by mini-extensions' field 
2. Added this field as a required question at the end of the mini-extensions form: "select today's date to send a notification of your updated record"
3. Set up an automation to send an email 'when a record is updated' only watching the 'Last updated by mini-extensions field'

I had originally set the field up as a check-box (tick this to send a notification), but using the date format instead means if someone updates their record again, it will send a new email. 

Thanks!