Help

Re: Automation to update subtasks when Project changes?

Solved
Jump to Solution
757 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matt_stewart1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I have a Base with below:

• Table A = Collections
  • Table B = Projects
  • Table C = Dept 1 Sub Tasks
  • Table D = Dept 2 Sub Tasks
  • Table E = Dept 3 Sub Tasks
  • Table F = Dept 4 Sub Tasks

We create Projects and Collections, with Linked Records.

When a Project is added, it then links to all the different table sub tasks. These are very different based on departmental needs, hence the different tables.

I need to have a direct link between each sub task and their respective collections so that I can run High level meetings accessing each departments status/info in an Interface with ability to change data. This means an interface run from Table A with grid views inserted for each table A, B, C, D, E, F

Right now it works if I use a Collection lookup field on each subtask table to monitor for changes, and then an automation that then updates a sub task to a new linked record field connecting to the collection any time there is changes.

However as my base grows, and automations grow, I am concerned that there is a limit of 50 automations and without the ability to combine automations for lots of scenarios it creates lots of small one off automations.

Is there a way to use "Find Records" action, or something else, that only watches when a collection changes at Table B, to then find all subtasks of said project on each table and update those to the new collections as well ... all in a single automation run?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matt_stewart1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Nevermind, I figured out a reverse automation to solve the problem. For reference if anyone needs it:

On the Collections Table, I added a lookup field to the Project Table, for each linked record to the other tables. So essentially on Table A I added:

• Lookup 1: Table B's Linked Record field to Table C
  • Lookup 2: Table B's Linked Record field to Table D
  • Lookup 3: Table B's Linked Record field to Table E
  • Lookup 4: Table B's Linked Record field to Table F

Then I added a automation on Table A to watch for any time the Linked Record field to Table B changed, to use the Lookups above to populate each of Table A's direct linked record fields to Tables C, D, E, F.

Testing so far works perfectly.

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
matt_stewart1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Nevermind, I figured out a reverse automation to solve the problem. For reference if anyone needs it:

On the Collections Table, I added a lookup field to the Project Table, for each linked record to the other tables. So essentially on Table A I added:

• Lookup 1: Table B's Linked Record field to Table C
  • Lookup 2: Table B's Linked Record field to Table D
  • Lookup 3: Table B's Linked Record field to Table E
  • Lookup 4: Table B's Linked Record field to Table F

Then I added a automation on Table A to watch for any time the Linked Record field to Table B changed, to use the Lookups above to populate each of Table A's direct linked record fields to Tables C, D, E, F.

Testing so far works perfectly.