cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nicolas_Caplat
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, the title says it all I guess … I’d like to set an automation when a defined view reaches a number of records I define. Is it possible, please ? it seems I can’t find a way for now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards.

Nicolas Caplat

3 Replies 3

That is not possible unless you always link all of your records in that view to one record in another table. We call these other tables “utility tables”, because they only exist for the purpose of “hacking” Airtable. In that other table, you would create a field of “count” type that would add up the number of linked records, and then trigger your automation based on that field.

The other alternative (instead of using a utility table) would be to write a Javascript that handles this for you, although I believe there’s a limit on how many records Airtable’s API will return at a time to scripts, so I’m not sure if you’ll be able to get the full count or not. I don’t know Javascript, so I don’t have the definitive answer on this one — someone else would need to answer that problem.

Thank you @ScottWorld !
I’ll try to use a “utility table”, since I’d like to avoid using Javascript. I was hoping -as often- there was a straight-forward solution for something that looks pretty simple to me.

Regards :slightly_smiling_face:

okn
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

If I understand correctly this is possible in the following way: (but i think up to 100 records, because Find Records returns the first 100 records? - not sure)

Go to Automations
Trigger: When a record enters view
Find records: Simply pick the view you are trying to automate
Add a condition: In the condition, you pick "Find records" and then search for "Length". "Length" here is the sum of the number of records in that particular view. 

Then you can set the condition according to that number. For e.g. Length is > 90. 

Good luck!