cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michel_Nessim1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey AirTable Community!

I am having trouble with Automations. I have my trigger (When a new record is created).
When selecting my Action (send an email), I select all the fields I want to display on the email, but when I test it, it’s only pulling certain values, but most of them are left blank, even though the cell has actual information on it (linked from another record & tab)

Any solutions to solve this? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michel_Nessim1

Apparently, I needed the Pro version in order for AT notifications to work.
When I tried the same process with Gmail notifications, it worked fine.

See Solution in Thread

9 Replies 9

Unfortunately, the “New Record is Created” trigger is designed to trigger AS SOON AS THE RECORD IS CREATED, meaning that it usually triggers on a blank record (or, in your case, a mostly-blank record).

Therefore, the “New Record is Created” trigger is only useful for form submissions — or for typing in “default values” into blank records.

So, you’ll need to use one of the other triggers instead.

Michel_Nessim1

Hi Scott!

I am aware of this, so what I do it actually copy and paste a line item that has all of the information filled out, it it’s pasted instantly, but still get blank values.

Why don’t you post screenshots of your automation, so we can see how it is setup.

Michel_Nessim1

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 20.47.36 Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 20.48.43

Here you go!

Richard_Cawthor

You guys are wonderful! I was pulling my hair out trying to understand why data was not inserting into a notification email action from a new record trigger. It work fine in testing but when I ran it by manually creating a new record (+ in table) the email had blank values.
Your comment that the trigger fired on the + when the record was blank was the answer. When I used a form to create the record, all the form values inserted into the email.
Have a great weekend! You made my day :slightly_smiling_face:

What are the field types of the blank fields? If they are calculated fields, such as formula fields, lookups, or roll ups, they technically can be blank when you first create the record, even when you create the record by duplicating an existing record. This is because it takes time for the calculations to occur and produce a value.

@Richard_Cawthorn Welcome to the Airtable community!

Thank you for posting that you found the answer to your problem. Some community members volunteer a lot of effort into answering questions and it is always nice to hear that our answers help more than just the original poster.

Michel_Nessim1

Apparently, I needed the Pro version in order for AT notifications to work.
When I tried the same process with Gmail notifications, it worked fine.

athomas

I'm having a similar issue but am using a form, so I'm unsure where to go next. The automation is triggered when the form is submitted. The automation sends the submitter of the form a confirmation that the form is submitted. The run history shows that the automation is running (no failed indicator),  when I look at the automation ACTION, it says that the To: Field is blank. I have that field populated with a field from a table that is selected to use the value.. which is an email address. athomas_0-1709920135289.png  it worked several weeks ago and it's now not working. This table hasn't been used until today. The previous testing had everything working and now it's not. I'm the only one to create the databases and automation and I haven't been in the table for weeks. Any help is appreciated.