2321 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hy, friends!
I was trying to create dependent dropdowns using the “If a record matches the conditions” then “Find Records” automation. I can’t do it, maybe I’m doing something wrong? Can anyone help me or explain the essence of automation?

10 Replies 10

Hi @111256 and welcome to the community!

Could you give an example of what you are trying to do?

If you’re thinking of updating multiple records in one go with the “find records” action, you can’t (unfortunately). This actions is used to create summaries in email actions. If this is what you want, you could consider mailing support@airtable.com about this.

I want to make dropdown dependent lists in table form. There is a type of technique, there is a characteristic of a technique, there are additional features of a technique, and so on. For example: type: manipulator, dump truck, truck crane; characteristic: boom outreach, carrying capacity, board carrying capacity; additional functions: light truck, all-terrain vehicle, with a trailer; etc. When choosing the first value in the second, it is necessary to sort the values ​​corresponding only to the first, in the third - corresponding to the first and second, and so on. As a result, you should get dependent lists. Is it possible to do this in the Airtable service or is it necessary to write a script, and, perhaps, transfer it to a suitable front end?

That isn’t native available in Airtable, but maybe someone else will be able to offer a solution via scripting, …

Thanks a lot! As they say here in Russia: it is better to know how not to do in order to do well!

Welcome to the community, @111256! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: This kind of conditional logic between fields can be done in a couple of different ways, but they all involve using linked records, not single/multiple select fields. A slightly old-ish way is described here:

While there are some useful things that can be picked up from that setup, there are now easier ways to pull this off. Late last year I came up with one such way, but a) I’ve only tested the process using one sub-category level, and b) I never took the time to document it. However, I did briefly demo the setup to a small group of other Airtable users, and @kuovonne took the idea and ran with it a bit further. She’s documented her version of the setup here:

https://atmosphere.kuovonne.com/recipes/linked-records-subcategories/

Part of what makes her setup so nice is that it includes built-in prompts to let you know what needs to happen next in the selection process.

It’s also worth noting that all these various techniques will only work directly in Airtable. None of them will work in an Airtable form because choosing a link in an Airtable form doesn’t actually build the link until the record is created, and that only happens after the form is submitted.

Hey all, the link that @Justin_Barrett provided doesn’t seem to be working, and I NEED this functionality ASAP!

If anyone has a suggestion, please…

As always, much love!
dg

quick for Airtable

Thanks @Justin_Barrett , but what am I doing wrong???
dg

Looks like you were looking at a link to my website that I took down because I decided that there are better (third party) options out there, and the method had too many limitations (only one user at a time, only in the Airtable interface, and could be very slow on large bases).

@kuovonne , no worries. I found a work-around that will carry me over until I can learn more about this. It seems that ‘scripting’ is the popular direction to go, so I have sum learnin’ ahead!

Thanks again all!
dg

Dear David, 

Could you share with me your work-around? Got to the same problem as you and couldn't seem to find a solution so far