663 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_Penaranda
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, I have a table with products and there is a column that has the category of each product, I would like to have another table but only with the categories that are in the first. Is there a way to do it? Like extract the existent categories from a table? Thanks

4 Replies 4
Jon_Stephenson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

OK If by categories you mean selections from single & multi select fields then…

My way would be to highlight the column with the multi/single select field in the source table, paste into an empty target table, then delete the added records, and you are left with the ‘categories’ in the definition fo the single/multi select field.

Chris-T
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Might be able to do it with the pivot table app if you have a pro subscription. Otherwise, the fastest way for me would be to copy paste the column into a google sheet and then pivot table on that column. Then, copy back into a new table in Airtable. If you’re not sure how to create a pivot table, and your data isn’t so proprietary that you couldn’t share, I could help you do it. Good luck.

Chris

Welcome to the community, @David_Penaranda! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Turn your {Category} field into a link to a new table, naming that table “Categories”. In creating the table, Airtable will automatically create records for each of the category names listed, and turn the plain text in the {Category} field into links to those records. Now, instead of typing/entering the category for any new records in your [Products] table, you’ll choose from the list of linked category records.

Wow! I had not even checked if there was a response, I did not know that this community was so fast, thanks!!