Help

Re: Field "field name" cannot accept the provided value: Cannot modify a computed field

Solved
Jump to Solution
1181 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sigurdur_Herman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I'm getting the error 'Field "Student" cannot accept the provided value: Cannot modify a computed field.'. The field "Student" ISN'T a computed field, though; it's a linked record field.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 08.48.45.pngScreenshot 2023-10-23 at 09.08.17.png

What confuses me the most is that when I tested this automation it worked flawlessly, both in 'generate a preview' and 'run as configured' tests. It's only in live runs that it fails. 

Does anybody have any clues as to what's going on?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi hi. I would edit the Student token to input "Airtable record ID" instead of their "Full Name" field.

Airtable sometimes has a hard time reading and matching things unless it's been inbuilt into their system like record IDs.

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

Hi,
just my guess - maybe something was changed in fields configuration, so you need to run tests again starting from first step (when a record matches conditions). 
second, less probably reason - you cannot add new records to a Students table  (when you add Full Name into linked field, it searches Student table for match to link, or, if no match, it create a new record there). 

Thanks for the input. I did run the tests again - no problems there. 

I'm sure that you're correct that when I add 'full name' into the "student" linked field in my billing table, that Airtable searches for a corresponding 'Student' and links it. That's what always happens in the tests. Somehow that just doesn't work in the live runs.

You did make me think of one thing: the ID field in the Students table is a formula field - first name + last name. I can see how, if the automation is trying to make a record in the billing table that links to a student that doesn't exist, that it wouldn't be able to because of that. But is that stopping it from adding a link to students that DO exist??

I tried to reproduce your case - it creates record when linked value exists and fails when not exists, with the same error message. 
I'm a bit confused - when it says ''Field "Student" cannot accept the provided value: Cannot modify a computed field", it means not linked field, it means primary field of a students table. 
What do you mean saying ': the ID field in the Students table is a formula field' ?  Linking procedure searches students table in a primary field only. Which is called 'Student', according to your error message.

and btw, you don't need automation run to test. just create empty record, and copy-paste any Full Name in link field. If such Full Name exists in student table, it will link to it. If not, pasting will not happen. Thus, you can easily check - maybe you have extra space somewhere, or some letter different with upper/lower case.

Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi hi. I would edit the Student token to input "Airtable record ID" instead of their "Full Name" field.

Airtable sometimes has a hard time reading and matching things unless it's been inbuilt into their system like record IDs.