583 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bribrimcb
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to Airtable and have a question as I'm building my database.

I've found it helpful for me to assign "focus times" for tasks independently from their due date in previous systems, so I added a Single Select field named "Status" that has several options: Today, Tomorrow, This Week, Backlog, Completed, and On Hold. I have attached a screenshot of how that looks.

Is there a way to create an automation that (at midnight) automatically updates anything with the Tomorrow status to have a Today status instead? I was able to create an automation to change a singular record, but I failed to find a method to update them all. I'm not sure if it's impossible, or if I just don't understand automations enough yet.

Regardless, thanks so much, and have a great day!

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 3.18.34 PM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Just be sure to add a repeating action to loop through the found records, or else you won't be able to update the found records (even if there is just one).

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6
Ella
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @bribrimcb 

You can use the 'find record' action after the trigger if you are using the 'at a specific time' trigger currently. Use the find record action to find all the tomorrow records and then use the update record action to act on all the 'found' records.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Just be sure to add a repeating action to loop through the found records, or else you won't be able to update the found records (even if there is just one).

I think this might be where I'm getting tripped up. I have a repeating action, but maybe I put it in the wrong place? This is the setup I have, and it only updates one task instead of any task with the "Tomorrow" status:

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 5.42.46 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 5.43.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 5.46.26 PM.png

Yes, your automation is setup correctly. You can't do a test on more than one record at a time, so you'll need to wait until your automation runs.

...I can't believe I got stuck on the most obvious part of the whole thing. I'm hanging my head in shame. Thank you to you both, and happy 2024!

You're welcome! Glad I could help, and Happy New Year! ☺️