409 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daniel_hannah
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

We have a form our users fill out that requires selecting a few entries from a long list of items, which we've managed to clean up by storing items by organization name--each organization has its own multi-select field, and they're conditional upon that organization being selected, so the form works nicely on the front end.

On the backend, we have a bit of a mess. There are nearly 100 organizations, and every one of them has a field. In order to easily collect the items that users are selecting, we have a formula field that concatenates every organization field. It's basically:

{AA} & {BB} & {CC}

which returns the selected values in whichever field.

The problem is that the multiselect fields don't all behave the same with the concatenation. Sometimes they produce a comma and space between them. Sometimes they don't. My goal is to clean this up for our user facing team in our automated email notification to show which items they've selected in a nice, bulleted list.

Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Try

SUBSTITUTE(
  {AA} & "," & {BB} & "," & {CC},
  ",,",
  ", "
)

You're probably still going to have some weirdness I think, and if you could provide screenshots I can see what I can do to fix them!

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Try

SUBSTITUTE(
  {AA} & "," & {BB} & "," & {CC},
  ",,",
  ", "
)

You're probably still going to have some weirdness I think, and if you could provide screenshots I can see what I can do to fix them!

Oddly, the issues don't come with concatenating between fields, rather they come between multiple selections within each field. In 99% of cases, only one organization field populates this concatenated field anyway.

Interesting!  If you could provide some screenshots of selections and the resulting erroneous formula field I'd be happy to see what I can figure out

So while looking for a suitable example record, I noticed a trend, that the formatting errors were always happening with a certain item, which I discovered does come from a different field, so your first comment actually fixed the error!