Help

Re: How to add a new record from an interface?

2558 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miguel_Montalvo
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,

I am really thrilled with exploring the features of this new and game-changing Airtable functionality. I think it would be super useful to my team which deals with hundreds of social media posts per month created and edited by several of our departments.

To give this a go, I started by creating an interface which would help our education department organize their programs and link social media requests to records another table - I already have all that setup. Where I am stuck on, is on the ability of creating a new record from the interface itself (i.e. create a new upcoming program from the interface where I am browsing the programs). I cannot find an element such as “add new record” or for that matter “delete record”. Do we have to go back to the regular grid-views to add or delete records? That sounds a bit convoluted…

I am loving the new feature and I understand that it is in Beta, but I really want to use it to its fullest and would love any suggestions, or if we could add that functionality for the full version.

Thanks so much!

51 Replies 51
Molly_1

Hi Justin. Could you please share the formula you used for NEW record please? Was it an IF formula?

Unfortunately I can’t because such a thing doesn’t exist. Formulas cannot create records, nor can they change the output of other fields. Formulas can only retrieve data from other fields.

In one of my comments above (linked here for convenience) I share one way to do this using an automation.

tre_digital
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I create a table (grid) and use the “+” button to create e new record; a bit too “invasive” for a simple button, but the only easy way till now

Haigouhie_Chich
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello everyone !
I might have a solution to create a new record in Interface !
You make sure you already have created a Form.
Then you go to Interface and add a “text element”. Put it anywhere you want (I put it on the top of the page). Name it as you wish (I put "Add New Record HERE) and then put the link to your form into “HERE” (for exemple).
In France, we say: “when a door closed to your face, enter by the window !!!” :rofl:
Hope this helps !

InnovatiefondsN
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This feature is needed +1

Christopher_Ha2

+1 this is a desperately needed feature.

People have been begging for this badly needed feature for months. Please.

Miguel_Montalvo

Although I have tried some of the suggestions mentioned above, they still don’t feel natural enough for me to deploy an interface to the rest of my team. I agree with the previous commenters that we need a better solution.

Per this post we can expect the ability to create a new record in interfaces this month.

Of course, it isn’t clear what that method will look like and what features it will support. (For example, it isn’t clear if it will support the creation of new linked records or records with defaults.)

Any update on this?

seems like i still can’t create a new record in a linked table.

Airtable added the ability to create a new record in the current table. However, adding a new linked record is different. Currently, to create a new record in a linked table, you need to have the linked record field displayed as a field, not as a grid. And it takes several clicks.