1680 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Morris1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have two tables I need to link. Ideally, I’d link them on their primary keys, but Airtable doesn’t allow you to link on primary fields. So I created a duplicate field for each table with the same content as the primary field. When I link the tables, however, Airtable doesn’t let me choose which fields to link on. I choose the field in Table A, but Airtable chooses the field in Table B to link to. Unfortunately, instead of linking to the appropriate field in Table B, Airtable goes ahead and makes a new field in Table B with a new row for each row in Table A. I’ve done this before in other bases and Airtable was smart enough to choose the correct field to link on. I tried making the field names the same. No success. I tried having the duplicate field in only one of the two tables as well. Nope.

What in the world is going on, and how do I get Airtable to link the correct fields?

19 Replies 19
hilary_coolidge
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes - in a record (row) in 2 tables, some of the columns have the same data - for example we have a one column that indicates the state of their annual contract with us (good, needs renewing, in progress, don’t renew) and a second lets us know if we want to contact them (Do not contact, on hold, moved to lead). So if we update it on one table, we’d like the record to also update the second table.

Office_Quest
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am new to AirTable, this is a very good explanation of what is happening to me. I thought I was the one messed up, but it seems the software is not behaving as helpful as it could. Great enhancement idea.

Hi,

I’m new to airtable and responding to an older post. Here’s screen shots of linked field from Table A, then in Table B information from Table A field populates in Table B primary field AND creates a separate field.
Every time I try to link two fields this occurs??? Help?

Thanks, Pat

…Ugh as a new user I can only attach 1 photo :frowning: Here’s table B: with the info from Table A in the primary field and a created field alsoTable 2 adds to primary. and creates field.PNG

I’m the OP on this thread, and my problem seems to be a lot like yours. The only thing I could figure out is that there must be some tiny difference between the data in Table A and the data in Table B. Check to make sure that there isn’t an extra space in the fields in one of the two tables.

Every instance of linking between tables has to have a discreet field in each table being linked in which the link is made explicit to the user. If you create a “Link to Table B” in Table A, there will be a corresponding “Link to Table A” created for you in Table B. This is how Airtable works. And for reasons of simplicity in their product, Airtable has opted not to allow the primary field of a table to be a Link to another Table.

What you are experiencing is Airtable’s intended behavior. Simply hide any fields you don’t wish to see.

Thanks Michael,

It’s possible I’ve created an issue while trying to figure this out. It’s just that it happens every time with attempted linking of fields from different tables.

In the pictured link Table A had 4 attachments, Table B created a new row for each attachment (in the primary field and a separate field?

Also, If I’m linking a list of 10 names from a field in table A, why would there be any difference in the list of names when created in Table B, (which puts them in the primary field and creates a field)?

Thanks for your help. Sorry if I’m obtuse, I’m a newbie. Thanks, Pat

Thanks, but why is it adding the information from the field of table A to the bottom of the Primary field of Table B?

Thanks, Pat

Hmmm @Patrick813 – I’m a bit confused by your questions and what exactly you are wanting to accomplish.

When you create the link between records, no data is automatically carried over from one record to another. You have to use either Lookup Fields or Rollup Fields to pull data from Table A into Table B. If all you have in Table B is a “Names” field, and it’s a plain text field, linking to a record from Table A will not fill that “Name” field. If you change the “Name” field to a “Lookup” field and point it at the record in the “Link to Table A” field, and at the field from Table A that has the “Name” you want to pull over, then it will automatically fill that field when you create the link to a record.

Thanks this is helpful.

What I’ve tried is only to take a field in Table A (mostly tried single text fields, but the picture shows an attachments field)

an example of what I’ve been doing is: I click “List of Names” Field (single text field) in Table A, link to Table B. Then table B adds the list of names from Table A at the bottom of the Primary filed as well as adds a field.

Thanks again for your help.