May 16, 2022 02:20 PM
I get this message multiple times a day across many Bases. Is there something I can check that might be causing this?
May 16, 2022 05:19 PM
It might be a bug that you may want to report to email@example.com. Can you reproduce this by performing the same actions over & over again?
I encountered a bug like yours last week — if I opened up more than 3 automation runs in a row (but only after clicking on the runs in a very specific order), I would get that same error message that you’re getting. I reported it to Airtable Support, and they confirmed that my issue was a bug and they are working on a fix.
May 17, 2022 08:05 AM
It seems to happen most often when creating a new field.
May 17, 2022 08:24 AM
I would create a video and send it to support.
Dec 14, 2022 02:24 PM
I had the same issue, and after looking at the console logs in Safari, it was relate to having a rich text field.
The actual error in the console logs was:
"Error: Failed hyperAssert: expected ot client to not exist when replacing rich text cell value in a non-synced table"
So after I changed the rich text field over to plain text, the issue went away.
Hope this helps some folks.
Jan 23, 2023 02:20 PM
Same issue here
Table doesn't work at all. Can't make a new task or anything. A rollback to an earlier build works, but it's missing a bunch of data...