cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielAssayag
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi,
I have a table with a single select field called “Status” that has 3 values (Pending, Refused, Granted)
I want that every new record to be receiving default “Pending” value and i also want to be able to change it afterwards to either Refused or Granted.

Thank you

11 Replies 11
Alex_Wolfe
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Not a default per se, but if you group your view by the single select field, then you can click or use SHIFT+ENTER to create a new record within any group, and it will have the given single select value by ‘default.’

Currently, selecting a default single select option is not possible.

Marc_Froissart
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’ve seen dozens of people on this board asking for this basic feature as early as 2016, how come is this still not implemented?

Jadon_Dutra
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I use another workaround:

1. Create a column called StatusFlag
  2. Set the type of StatusFlag to Number. Set the default value to ‘0’
  3. Create a column called Status.
  4. Set the type of Status to Formula. Enter the following code:
    IF(StatusFlag=1,“Approved”,IF(StatusFlag=2,“Rejected”,“Pending”))

Now, setting the value of StatusFlag to 0,1 or 2 will result in the Status column displaying ‘Pending’, ‘Approved’ or ‘Rejected’. Because the StatusFlag has a default value of 0, all new records will be ‘Pending’.

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

You can use this tool that we built:

Set Default Value for Airtable Fields - miniExtensions

A tool to automatically set a default value for ANY field on Airtable. Works with Linked records, single & multi select, etc. Supports scheduling & webhooks.

It works with single select fields and you can schedule it to run regularly so that any new record is automatically filled with the preset value.

5$ per month! …
I wonder if all functions were to cost 5$ how much wed pay in the end…

Luke_Tan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Looks like a lost cause to try to get the default option on single select list unless we pay for this most basic feature or very clunky work around. Maybe I should start looking for other solutions and I suggest all new comers to do the same as well unless you want to pay through your nose!

If they ever do it, they’ll make you go to a high pricing tier to get it. I mean, if they want you at the highest tier just to be able to bold a field, you know that’s how this will go.

Impact_Colabs
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please add this basic feature @airtable, it’s needed for so many projects…

Chantelle_Nash
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

You can do this with an automation to set a field value upon a new record being created (or form being submitted if that’s the case).