cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielAssayag
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi,
I have a table with a single select field called “Status” that has 3 values (Pending, Refused, Granted)
I want that every new record to be receiving default “Pending” value and i also want to be able to change it afterwards to either Refused or Granted.

Thank you

11 Replies 11
Alex_Wolfe
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Not a default per se, but if you group your view by the single select field, then you can click or use SHIFT+ENTER to create a new record within any group, and it will have the given single select value by ‘default.’

Currently, selecting a default single select option is not possible.

Marc_Froissart
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’ve seen dozens of people on this board asking for this basic feature as early as 2016, how come is this still not implemented?

Jadon_Dutra
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I use another workaround:

1. Create a column called StatusFlag
  2. Set the type of StatusFlag to Number. Set the default value to ‘0’
  3. Create a column called Status.
  4. Set the type of Status to Formula. Enter the following code:
    IF(StatusFlag=1,“Approved”,IF(StatusFlag=2,“Rejected”,“Pending”))

Now, setting the value of StatusFlag to 0,1 or 2 will result in the Status column displaying ‘Pending’, ‘Approved’ or ‘Rejected’. Because the StatusFlag has a default value of 0, all new records will be ‘Pending’.

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

You can use this tool that we built:

Set Default Value for Airtable Fields - miniExtensions

A tool to automatically set a default value for ANY field on Airtable. Works with Linked records, single & multi select, etc. Supports scheduling & webhooks.

It works with single select fields and you can schedule it to run regularly so that any new record is automatically filled with the preset value.

5$ per month! …
I wonder if all functions were to cost 5$ how much wed pay in the end…

Luke_Tan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Looks like a lost cause to try to get the default option on single select list unless we pay for this most basic feature or very clunky work around. Maybe I should start looking for other solutions and I suggest all new comers to do the same as well unless you want to pay through your nose!

If they ever do it, they’ll make you go to a high pricing tier to get it. I mean, if they want you at the highest tier just to be able to bold a field, you know that’s how this will go.

Impact_Colabs
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please add this basic feature @airtable, it’s needed for so many projects…

Chantelle_Nash
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

You can do this with an automation to set a field value upon a new record being created (or form being submitted if that’s the case).

I'm having a hard time replicating this, could you please tell me more about the specific steps involved

1) At the top click on "Automations" (next to Data)
2) In the flow diagram, add a trigger. Set the trigger as "When a new record is created". In the side panel, choose the table where you will be adding new records. 
3) In the flow diagram, add an action. Choose "Update a record". In the side panel, choose the same table as above, and choose the record ID from the previous step (you will see it if you click on the "+" icon). Then choose the field you want to set a default for, and choose the default value.

I just did this and it works for me.