Help

Noobie question: I need help from airtable experts, Currently I'm not able to followup on my leads properly

Topic Labels: Views
6021 56
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay_P
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Currently, I have my data in multiple tables (20)
Each table has the exact same table structure. Please dont tell me to put all data in same table. I can’t do it.

& I don’t get much time to go into each and every table to check which leads I have to followup on.

I need a way by which I can view all the records that have the status ‘Negotiation State’ in all the tables to be displayed in one place so I can be more efficient with my work.

I make chnage in this view and the chnage should be implemented at the original table.

I see in other softwares like Asanas the pipeline thing is built in. How can i make my airtables more efficient ?

56 Replies 56

You can that by adding a button field, chose the option to go back to the source record.

Airtable is not exclusively a CRM software or task manager. The odds of them focusing on feature requests that only pertain to CRMs are slim.

:sleepy:
Thanks for confirming. I was hoping I was just missing something.

I’m using this for tracking completed tasks. I have an automation set up to transfer/archive completed tasks to a separate table. I was hoping to delete the completed tasks from the outstanding tasks table once the record has been transferred. This won’t work if I can’t delete tasks.

The point of transferring these to another table was that I didn’t want completed tasks to show up in my linked record field for Tasks in my Projects table. Because it’s a linked record field, I don’t believe there is a way to filter out task records marked as done.

I ended up changing the automation by creating a new Project for zzzArchived. The final step of the automation is to change the Tasks’ associated Project to zzzArchived. This means that the completed tasks no longer appear in my linked record field. I can then delete all of the completed tasks from this zzzArchived project from time to time.

This is what I love and hate about Airtable. It can do pretty much ANYTHING you want it to do, but sometimes doing so requires many hours of trying to find and build workarounds. If only I could train myself to measure potential gains and quit if it turns out that I’m spending 10 hours to save 1 just for the sake of automation.

There is: Make a view where only “open” tasks are shown (checkbox for “done”, or a single-select for status i.e. open vs complete), then set your Link field to only select from that view.

I agree your point is legit.

Airtable should provide the solution to this problem, I don’t like the idea of scripts bc other users also have the same need.

Thanks Kamille. That’s great for entering new records from the linked records field, but it help after those records are entered. In other words, the filters are meant for adding new records, not for updating existing records.

More detail:

I have a Projects table and a Tasks table. I want to be able to easily access the project records from the Tasks table, and the task records from the Projects table. This makes it as easy as possible to enter data. I can look at my projects (at a higher level) and see if I have an active task assigned to that project. If not, I can add a task directly from the projects table. I can also do the opposite from the Tasks table.

A lookup field in the Projects table with filters for incomplete tasks would work, but it doesn’t link to the record, it only displays the name of the primary field. I would then have to find the actual Task record if I want to update it.

Your solution will allow me to add a new linked record that matches the criteria (and limit the selection to that criteria), but it doesn’t update the linked record (and remove it) when the task record exits the view. I’m sure that this is intentional, but I’m not sure why it would be set up this way. I would expect the filter to continue to apply and update the linked record accordingly.

So if the task and project are already link and I mark the Task as done, it continues to show in the tasks linked record field in the Projects table, even though I’ve applied a filter that limits the linked records to a view (with only incomplete tasks).

I guess this is why the option says “Limit record selection to a view” and not simply “Limit record to a view”.

Basically, I want the linked record filter to apply both at the time new records are entered, and as those records are updated.

My complex workaround does the job, but I hate adding several steps to my process (and yet another table for completed tasks).

I hope that makes sense. If you have any other ideas I’m all ears :slightly_smiling_face:

Try using two Link Fields: one for active tasks, one for completed tasks. You can use an automation on your Tasks table, once a task has been marked complete, to move the value of the {Projects (Active)} link field to the {Projects (Archive)} link field. In your Projects table you could hide the {Tasks (Archived)} field from view so you only see the {Tasks (Active)} field, which should now only display clickable titles of the tasks which are active.

I’ll give that a try tomorrow. I think that should work. Thanks for responding.

If I was able to link to an actual record using a lookup or rollup field, none of this would be necessary.