cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Slim_BENAZIZA
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey guys !
i have an interface for my customer with a form and other data.

He wants the form to be prefilled with the same message “long text field” in the interface.
See the screenshot.

it it possible to do that? and how?

Thank you

Sans titre

19 Replies 19

Hi @Slim_BENAZIZA ,

Welcome to Airtable Community!

You cannot prefill forms in the interface , you can only do that in the form link. Please see this help article.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Pre-filled field data within an Interface Form is now possible, thanks to the recent March 2023 updates to Interfaces.

Karlstens_0-1677994274046.png

EDIT: FFFSS I can't stand these buggy forum bugs >_<. Now I have the wrong screenshot uploaded capturing the forum bug of my real post that was trying to help. *sigh*

Hi there, Is it possible to have a dynamic value prefilled into a form?  For instance, I have a library base for a small organization lending library.  You can view / search the catalog and if you find a book you'd like to check out, I want to offer a button that takes the viewer to a check-out form with the book pre-filled.  Possible?  Thanks!

Amaury_Halle1

Any updates about prefilling a form in interface dynamically?
Let say I want to comment the record (not with the record block), could the "current record" already be filled in the form?

Is this documented anywhere? 

Following up on my own inquiry here. It's possible to set a default value in interface forms, but it is not possible, at least not from what I've encountered so far, to prefill interface forms via url parameters in the same way that you can standard forms. 

I think it's possible for fields like boolean fields, text fields, single/multiple select, but I haven't found a way for linked records...

Oh, really? That'd be helpful, even if it is limited to those fields. Do you have any examples you could share? I've not been able to get it to work using syntax that works for regular forms. I did get filters in interfaces prefilled at one point, but that was pretty complicated and involved some base 64 encoding, which I mostly learned about here: https://community.airtable.com/t5/interface-designer/navigate-between-airtable-interfaces-how-to-gen...

Marielle_Gueis1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Bobby, now even the linked fields can be prefilled!!

What I've done is create a form in the interface, publish, then use the url and write the variables like you would for the other forms. (documentation here). 
I think the link you shared is for filters on other types of pages, not for forms. 

Just agreeing with this feature and use case!!

Were you able to achieve pre-filling a dynamic linked field in an interface? I don't see anything unique in the form URL when I select a linked record.

It seems to be working for me - here's what I did:

Created a form layout Interface with all the default settings from Airtable connected to my Projects table.  Publish it.  View it.  Copy the link from the address bar.

In my table, I created a new button field set to Open URL.  In the URL portion I put the following:

"[Link from Interface]?prefill_"&"Project+Name="&{Project Name}

Note the quotation marks - they are all necessary!

Save the field. Click on any Project and the form will load with the selected Project prefilled in the form. This same concept can be repeated to prefill multiple fields like this:

"[Link from Interface]?prefill_"&"Project+Name="&{Project Name}&"&prefill_Start+Date="&Today

You can also fill it with static data instead of dynamic like this:

"[Link from Interface]?prefill_"&"Project+Name=Sample Project"

Hope this helps!

I'm having an issue with Interface Forms where I can't prefill a linked record field (even when using the Record ID of the linked record in the query string parameter). I am able to successfully prefill all other field types on the same form, just not a linked record field. Does anyone have suggestions?

I am having the same issue — I've tried @Ashley_Jackson's method of using the field name and I've tried using the record ID, but it's not working for me to prefill a linked record field of a Interface Form. 😞 

//Airtable formula:

'https://airtable.com/appquN7zlOyyK8sMF/pagtD6NLFZVUDVlkQ/form?prefill_Shipment=' & RECORD_ID(Shipment) 

//Resulting URL:
https://airtable.com/appquN7zlOyyK8sMF/pagtD6NLFZVUDVlkQ/form?prefill_Shipment=recsgslGPYbDrtueH

Never mind, I figured it out! I was using the wrong record id because I thought RECORD_ID({Shipment}) would give me the record ID of the linked shipment but it just gave me the record ID of the current record, as if I had just been using RECORD_ID() without any parameters.

So @Jonathan_Straus I recommend double-checking your record ID to make sure it's valid for the field you're trying to prefill!

Margaret_Picker
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have tried long and hard to make Ashley's solution work - but I am foxed.

In my normal base, the following button field URL works well, and is key to our business

I am trying to 'upgrade' to interfaces.  Whether I try to link to the original form, or to an Interface Form, I cannot pick up the current record when linking from an Interface button with the Action 'go to external URL'. 

I also have tried using Interface button with action 'go to interface page', but I cant see how to do prefills at all with that.

Can anyone else advise further?

Thanks

Same here, I've tried the solution and it works on standard forms, but will not work on a form I've created in an interface for link fields only.

Marielle_Gueis1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It used to work, now it doesn't anymore. It's getting quite frustrating. One day it works, the other it doesn't...
If I test with the old forms, I can pre-fill a linked field normally, and if I do exactly the same for a new interface form, it doesn't work

waltrlm
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I also confirm that it's not working anymore (dynamically fill a linked record with record ID on an interface form). It only works on legacy forms...