Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Allow createRecordsAsync() and updateRecordsAsync() to update Single and Multiple Select fields.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Within an Automation Script, it's frustrating that we still encounter the inability to update the Single Select or Multi Select field options, with the error returning;

"Airtable "Error: Cannot update field config from scripting automation"

This limitation forces the user to reconsider the field type, with the alternative solution usually swapping it into a Single Line text field.

Interestingly, it is possible to use an Automation Update Record action to do this exact same process, but for whatever reason it's not possible for an Automation Script to execute this very same process.

Can this limitation please be reviewed and reconsidered by Airtable Developers? Without this feature, it limits the use of Single Select and Multiple Select fields within bases heavily dependent on Automations.

5 Comments
Greg_F
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

+1

I have run into that problem a few times as well. It would be helpful.  I have just taken a look at Airtable Web API and it would be possible to update table to add needed options (https://airtable.com/developers/web/api/update-table) or make a  POST/PUT record request with typecast: true. Both options seems like a bit of a workaround.   So far in call cases for me it was doable to manually add the option, but yes the typecast option in Automation script would be helpful.  

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Yes, I was thinking in the back of my mind that this was now achievable with the recently updated Web API - so was wondering if/when Automations could be updated to support similar allowances.

I mean, I'm sure its possible to make a WEB API call from an Automation script - but urgh... ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Greg_F
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

I  love that we still cannot properly parse emojis ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Greg_F
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

โ˜  or can we? ๐Ÿค”

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿคฃ