Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Allow creation of new Linked Records on Form Interface

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcervantes
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Overview: We cannot create new Linked records when submitting a form. There is only the ability to create a new Linked record after the initial form is submitted (and record created). This is not conducive to some workflows, where it would be very helpful to create a linked record during the initial record creation process.

Feature Request: Allow users to directly create linked records while they are in the process of submitting the initial Form/record in Interfaces.

Current Workarounds:

1. Provide a link on the initial Form for a user to open up another form to create the linked record prior to them completing the initial form.
  2. Create additional fields in the table and then use automations to automatically create linked records in the background when those are selected.

21 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yeah, this is a big limitation. The other workaround for this is to use an app like Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which natively communicates with Airtable in real time, and gives tons of advanced features that are all Airtable-specific — such as the ability to create new linked records from a form, update Airtable records with a form, and much more.

jcervantes
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks @ScottWorld for the suggestion! Would you mind adding a Kudos to this idea to get more visibility by the Devs?

Tito_Alverio
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am looking for this functionality too. Right now for some workflows, this is keeping users from moving to Interfaces, when this is a feature that exists on the Data level. 

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

New linked records can now be created through Airtable’s interfaces.

Also, external tools like Fillout and Noloco provide this functionality as well.

jcervantes
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@ScottWorld This specific request is to allow new linked records to be created on the new record Form, which is not currently possible in interfaces. An example is let's say you're creating a PO Request form. The parent record would contain the general PO Request details such as requester, date needed, justification for request, ect. Then as child records (linked records), you might want the user to create "lines" of this PO all in one step. Currently users have to create the PO parent record, then go back into that in a different interface where they can create new linked records. This workflow is far from optimal.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Ahhhh... I see... you're talking about the "new record form" on the interface, not the main part of the interface.

Yeah, unfortunately, that isn't yet possible in Airtable. That's currently only available in Fillout at the moment. (And possibly Noloco as well.)

But Fillout is free and it is awesome! And I give a brief demo of creating new line items on a form on this episode of the BuiltOnAir Podcast

jcervantes
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@ScottWorld thanks for that podcast link. That type of functionality is exactly what I was referring to. It's nice to see that there are other solutions that workaround the Airtable limitation, but it is a bit disappointing that I have to get another product and then pull my users out of the native UI / App experience and have them use a different system just to do such a fundamental function such as adding line items when creating a record.

There are so many great things about Aritable, but they like to focus on  advanced functionality that might be used by a very small percent of the user base while ignoring such fundamental functionality such as this, or enforcing required fields when editing existing records, or conditional fields when editing existing records, etc. My list of basic functionality that Airtable lacks is quite big. 

Lastly, they offer no real consolidated way to request and vote on feature requests. You can only email support or post on the forum. There should be a consolidated list of requests where we can upvote requests. How they set their priorities is too obscured.

JPal
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I really need this too. Please Airtable make it happen.

will2727
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Same here... really need this

joetwelve
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Same here, it would be really a helpful functionality I agree