Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Allow creation of new Linked Records on Form Interface

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcervantes
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Overview: We cannot create new Linked records when submitting a form. There is only the ability to create a new Linked record after the initial form is submitted (and record created). This is not conducive to some workflows, where it would be very helpful to create a linked record during the initial record creation process.

Feature Request: Allow users to directly create linked records while they are in the process of submitting the initial Form/record in Interfaces.

Current Workarounds:

1. Provide a link on the initial Form for a user to open up another form to create the linked record prior to them completing the initial form.
  2. Create additional fields in the table and then use automations to automatically create linked records in the background when those are selected.

21 Comments
joetwelve
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Same here, this functionality would be really helpful.

AlexBeaudin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes I'm voting for this feature as well.

BartLightyear
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just wanted to add-on here. This NEEDS to be a function if I am expected to actually utilize Interfaces. Right now I have a full backend built out as an interface which is sitting unused SOLELY because this functionality doesn't exist. This is such a crucial aspect that is being overlooked and is effectively making Interfaces pointless at least for me. 

To clarify, my use case is: Through the interface I've created, I allow users to create a new records (which represent single events for my clients). Within the "new event form" exists an option to select the venue which is tied to my table of venues. If the venue isn't in my table yet, the user now has no way to add the new venue from within the "new event form." As you can see, it ultimately makes this whole interface pointless if we need to input a new venue. 

Airtable team does seem to rule so I am not trying to trash the team. But please please pleeeeaaaase Airtable! You would be taking my company to another level with this change.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

There are 3 great workarounds for this limitation:

1. On the first form, give the user a link to the other form which will add new records to the linked table.

2. On the first form, in the linked record field, give the user an option to choose from that is called "new record" or something like that. Then, conditionally show additional fields where they can type in the new information. Then, use an automation to add the new record into the appropriate table.

3. Use Fillout's advanced forms for Airtable, which has this functionality natively built into its forms. Fillout offers about 500 advanced features that aren't natively available in Airtable's native forms.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

Tito_Alverio
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@ScottWorld Love these ideas, Scott. I can see how this would work and should be able to implement it fairly easily. Still would like to see native function built in, but for now, I'll try out option 1 or 2 in my Interface. 

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Oh, for sure. It would definitely be best if this was natively built into the product! But hopefully those options will help you out in the meantime! 🙂 

BartLightyear
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@ScottWorld you've definitely convinced me to give those ideas a shot.... Thanks for this insight! Option 2 definitely makes a lot of sense. 

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You're welcome! Glad I could help! I agree that it's not ideal, but it's not too shabby.

AlexBeaudin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@ScottWorld Thank you Scott for these ideas, it's a great workaround!🙂

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

My pleasure! 😊