Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Apply record template in interface

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sean_Murphy1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect
What is the proposed idea/solution?

It seems likely that this is already being developed, but I suggest adding a new feature to the Button interface element (see attached screenshot for expected location) that allows users to apply a record template to the current record. This enhancement would help streamline the process of creating sets of sub-tickets and eliminate the need for cumbersome automation currently in place.

How does is solve the user problems?

Allows for faster, easier deployment of records in an Interface. Simplifies base administration.

How was this validated?

?

Who is the target audience?

People using Interfaces with a concept of 'sub-tickets' -- probably other use cases.

4 Comments
Sean_Murphy1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Thank you!

Sean_Murphy1_0-1684950909544.png

jjl-pdx
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This works, but...

If you are applying a Record Template that uses a relative date, and that relative date is blank, you'll get an error. 

If you do this same operation in a traditional view, it asks you to enter the missing date before applying the template. 

ashforrest
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello - continuing this conversation!

Is there currently no solution for adding a record template in the interface? See below - would love if when pressing + on Interface, a record template could be applied. 

ashforrest_0-1692396643651.png
Thank you to anyone who can offer insight on a workaround, solution I don't know of or any known roadmap for this.

Coups
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi everyone - Hopefully not too late to the party, but I think I have found a way for this to work, although you have to set it up in a really specific way. And it worked with relative dates.

I was getting myself really confused with multiple templates, forms, etc. and I don't think the new Interface layout helped.

My requirements:  Create a new record from a form on an interface, that then uses a template to setup associated records / tasks.  My exact requirement is for project management, and so the delivery date I input is used to feed additional relative dates, that work backwards to schedule the work.

How I got it working:

If you have record templates already set up, you should be able to follow along.  If not, I'd recommend doing that first.
- Setup a new Interface Page, and select a List view, and select the table you want to be able to add records to from your button / template
- Once that is in (it doesn't matter what fields you are showing) make sure you are viewing the 'page' editing options, and on the right you'll see a 'buttons' option at the bottom.
-  Click on Buttons and choose Add Button Action
- You'll get a greyed out button appear at the top of the page.  *As far as I can tell, you can't create a standalone button in any other scenario that will have the following options, only by creating it in this way *shrug*
- Click the button, Choose Actions and choose 'Open record creation form'
- You will then have to select the right source again for some reason under the Data heading, and this is where you can edit your form for adding a game via the button.

This is where I hit a few stumbling blocks, as this form isn't applicable to any templates you've made.

You will see there is a Template option at the bottom of this list, and you can use the 'eye' icon to make your templates available when that button is clicked from the interface. If you select more than one, is gives you a drop down. Nice.

In order to get the template form working (sounds obvious now) you have to (in edit mode) click on the Button, as if you're testing it, and get the form to pop up.  The form is also in edit mode, and you can edit it to add in / remove whatever fields you need.

And yes, you can bring in that relative date field, and enter a date when submitting this form so that subsequent dates will be populated when the form is submitted! 

I'm sorry this post was so hefty (and I can't post screenshots) but I hope this helps as I was going around in circles until I decided to start from scratch.