Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

ARRAY_FIRST and ARRAY_LAST

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Regent_Province
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would like to use a ARRAY_FIRST() and a ARRAY_LAST() function, taking an array as argument, and resulting in the first (or the last) element of this array.

For now, I have to ARRAY_JOIN(my_array, ",") first, and the look after the string before the first โ€œ,โ€โ€ฆ which is a little tricky and need 2 formulas.

ARRAY_JOIN(my_array, ",") โ†’ my_joined_array (formula 1)
IF(FIND(',', my_joined_array) = 0, my_joined_array, LEFT(my_joined_array, FIND(',', my_joined_array) - 1)) โ†’ the final value (formula 2)

I would like to write ARRAY_FIRST(my_array) as an unique formulaโ€ฆ

Thanks,

Rรฉmi

18 Comments
Bob_Ziroll

This is great! Way better than the adapted solution I had above (and actually makes sense to me).

Nicolas_d_Apri1

Hard to believe Array maniuplation are still not possible in 2022. Such a pain

Alexey_Gusev
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Maybe it would bring new ideas. Explanation is simple - SUBSTITUTE has 4th parameter - number of the occurence. If omitted, it changes all. Thatโ€™s why it used often in formulas, where it seems nothing to substitute. Like here, with FIND, to Find last comma.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Now that regular expressions are available, getting the first or last item from an array is a lot easier (at least when the items donโ€™t contain commas):

First item:

IF(values, REGEX_EXTRACT(ARRAYJOIN(values), "[^,]*"))

Last item:

IF(values, REGEX_EXTRACT(ARRAYJOIN(values), "[^,]*$"))

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 7.38.25 PM

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Clever. Note that you can still handle Rollup arrays with commas by using ARRAYJOIN(values, 'some other deliminator')

Johannes_Mutter
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hereโ€™s a more general formula to get the nth. field from a Rollup/ Array/ Multi-Select field in Airatble (e.g. first/ second/ third/ โ€ฆ)

To get the 1.

REGEX_EXTRACT(ARRAYJOIN({values}), "^([^,]*)")

To get the 2.

REGEX_EXTRACT(ARRAYJOIN({values}), "(?:[^,]+,){1}([^,]*)")

To get the 3.

REGEX_EXTRACT(ARRAYJOIN({values}), "(?:[^,]+,){2}([^,]*)")

โ€ฆ
etc.
โ€ฆ

To get the last

REGEX_EXTRACT(ARRAYJOIN({values}), "([^,]*)$")
WilliamPorter
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Yeah, it kind of makes sense (from a programmerโ€™s perspective) for the first item to be index 0; then -1 is the one right โ€œbeforeโ€ that (in an imaginary wheel), which of course is the LAST item. But for most folks working in Airtable, your suggestion of the first item being index 1 is, I think, appropriate, even if it is a bit like the Julio-Claudian calendar, which has no year 0. :slightly_smiling_face:

Calvin_Young2
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Some time in late 2023 they quietly added the new ARRAYSLICE() function which allows you to do this.

For example, ARRAYSLICE({Your Field}, 1, 1} will return the first value, while ARRAYSLICE({Your Field}, -1} will return the last.