Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Automations - improve emails

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WNC_ITCommittee
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator
  1. Emails sent through AUTOMATIONS are double-spaced. It looks awful. Why is it done this way?
  2. I also think that the emails coming out of AUTOMATIONS should offer some conditional coding. For example, if the value of A is ‘x’ then display field B, otherwise display field C. I know I can handle that with an AirTable field that contains the value I want to display but I end up with sooooo many fields in AirTable. In fact, I already had to create several ‘automations-related’ fields strictly because of lookup fields.
  3. Another idea would be to allow more formatting options within the email message. Why not offer color or highlighting or underlining?
6 Comments
Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

You could do that by adding a Script Action step before your Email step.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I’ve raised this issue repeatedly by suggesting that actual fields should also support formulas only to be shot down or dismissed every time. It’s clearly an unfortunate drawback that data models must endure and tolerate a vast number replicated formula fields to get the job done. That’s not going to change anytime soon.

Two observations …

1. There are some clever ways to overcome email formatting issues. For example, imagine a script action that reads an email template from a table/record that is fundamentally formatted for clean output that is created by binding the variables of the message with the email template. Then the email step in the automation uses the output of the script to send the final email message as a single variable.

2. These email limitations are why almost everyone looking to create highly-branded and pixel-precise message content, tend to build such systems using GMail and Google Apps Script.

WNC_ITCommittee
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you Bill for the information and suggestions you provided. I’m not highly skilled enough to use scripts but the automation output is still better than what I can get with Zapier. Maybe these upgrades will be included eventually.

WNC_ITCommittee
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for the suggestion Kamille. Unfortunately, I don’t know much about scripting. And considering that I handle these tasks as a volunteer I think I will have to stick with things the way they are. :winking_face:

Ahmed_Elagami
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi,

I believe there are some ways to format when you try to send an email through automation
they follow a similar way to HTML

’ Your Data ‘’ Here it will provide as a bold font when it lands on email format
and some other examples: I think if you search for HTML formatting it would work
‘<\n>’ is a line break and so on

<span style='color:red'> - RED text
<b> - Bold text
<strong> - Important text
<i> - Italic text
<em> - Emphasized text
<mark> - Marked text
<small> - Smaller text
<del> - Deleted text
<ins> - Inserted text
<sub> - Subscript text
<sup> - Superscript tex

I wonder if Airtable is willing to Add a code font format documentation, that has everything in there.
I hope that helps.
My Best
Ahmed Elagami

WNC_ITCommittee
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you for your help Ahmed. The problem is this works only with hardcoded text. It would be nice if field values were affected by the formatting.