Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Button to link to section within interface page

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steven_Crocombe
5 - Automation Enthusiast

We have an interface for our project management Airtable base, which shows project data filtered by a record list. As our base grows, the page has grown with it and is quite long, split into useful sections.

I would like a way to hyperlink to different sections within the interface, like using div IDs and # hyperlinks in html. 

This could tie in to a standard button, as currently used for navigation to external URLs. 

8 Comments
mattsevits
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would absolutely love this ability!

KNMartin

Yes please! We have interface pages that are lengthy by the nature of the info. We would love to have a 'section collapse' option or a button with a 'jump to' feature. If anyone knows a workaround to add this functionality I am all ears.

Michael_Schultz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I figured out a workaround, using a feature supported in most browsers called text fragments.

1. Identify a unique keyword or series of words on your interface to reference to. Or you can use this Chrome/Edge extension to do so: Link to Text Fragment (google.com)
  2. In your base, make a formula field:
    =CONCATENATE("a", RECORD_ID(), "#:~:text=b")
    where a is the base url of your interface, eg http://airtable.com/app...=
    and b is the unique keyword, or whatever is returned after the equal sign from the extension
  3. In the interface, make a button for the header. Action is "Go to URL in record" and set the Field to your new formula field.
  4. Click the button and it should bring you to the key word or phrase in your interface. You can make one for each section.

I decided to use emojis as the unique "words" to link to since they pair with section headers and are unlikely to be used in any of our actual fields.

More info on text fragments:
Boldly link where no one has linked before: Text Fragments  |  Articles  |  web.dev
Scroll to Text Fragments - Jim Nielsen’s Blog (jim-nielsen.com)
Text fragments | MDN (mozilla.org)

I would still like Airtable to make this internal linking feature native. It would be relatively trivial for the html code underlying the interface to contain <id="section name"> tags that can be referenced with links. This would have strong advantages over my workaround of (1) not requiring a unique word or pharse to reference; (2) not highlighting the text; and (3) bringing the key text to the top of the page rather than the middle.

jbtm1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am trying the steps @Michael_Schultz laid out (using a keyword within the AT record rather than the Chrome extension) and can't seem to finish the connection. Where do I tell it my keyword to search for when I click the button? I have the record source set up, I created the new field with the CONCATENATE formula. When I click my button though, it just opens a dead link, which I can see is the URL being created from the formula. Can't figure out what I am missing.

Michael_Schultz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

What do you have in place for the variable "a" ? It needs to be the url for your specific Airtable Base.

jbtm1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

For 'a' I had the URL for the interface page and was getting the dead link. I switched it to the URL for the base it is pulling from and the button now links me to that base page, outside of my interface. So it is reading the link, but all I want to do is stay on the interface page itself and just scroll down to that section.

I have text box elements above each grid section giving a title...in a perfect world, I could link to that text box instead of a record in the grid, but I don't think we can do that with interfaces it seems.

jbtm1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I think I figured it out after closely going through your workaround notes. I had the full interface URL in my formula. Looks like I need to stop at the =

Michael_Schultz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Glad you got it to work!

I'll say again:
I would still like Airtable to make this internal linking feature native. It would be relatively trivial for the html code underlying the interface to contain <id="section name"> tags that can be referenced with links. This would have strong advantages over my workaround of (1) not requiring a unique word or phrase to reference; (2) not highlighting the text; and (3) bringing the key text to the top of the page rather than the middle.