Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Carriage Returns in CONCATENATE

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Ron_Wessling
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Add the ability to use a carriage return when using the CONCATENATE function.

Name&CarriageReturn&Street&CarriageReturn&State&","&Zip

25 Comments
Daniel_Robbins
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I tried this but, at least within the field display itself, I donโ€™t see any carriage returns. Is this only for export?
I am using a formula like this:
CONCATENATE( Name,"\n",{Address 1},{Address 2},"\n",City)
Thanks,

Bruno_Carvalho
5 - Automation Enthusiast

@Daniel_Robbins Have you tried copying from the cell in the grid view? It worked for me.

I will show exactly the answer:

โ€œName
{Address 1}{Address 2}
Cityโ€

Daniel_Robbins
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yes, I noticed that on paste the carriage returns are there. I wish theyโ€™d show up in the cell tooโ€ฆ

• Dan
Bruno_Carvalho

They donโ€™t show up because formula fields are treated as single line fields. I think we should be able to generate a formula for any kind of field we like.

Chris_Kennedy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any way to remove the quotes from the output? Canโ€™t think of one myselfโ€ฆ

shanti_rubens

Thanks, thatโ€™s super helpful!

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hello all, Iโ€™m happy to report that the carriage returns display as expected if you increase row height.

Unfortunately though, the resulting copy block is still wrapped in quotes once copied and pasted. Has anyone worked out a way to omit those quotes?!

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Nope โ€” but here are a few additional points about them

• Actually, you can bypass the quotes: If, instead of copying the entire cell, you mark-and-copy the cell contents, the resulting text is pasted without enclosing quotes, even if the copied text contains embedded commas or newlines. You truly do have to mark-and-copy โ€” as in click and drag โ€” as pressing Ctrl-A marks the entire page, even if you have the expanded field open and selected. Obviously, not really a work-around, but may be useful if only occasionally needed.

• The enclosing quotes are only obvious if you copy from Airtable and paste to another app; however, they are included in a paste to another Airtable cell, and they affect how the pasted data is interpreted:

• Pasting a value containing an embedded newline without enclosing quotes โ€” that is, one copied using mark-and-copy โ€” into either a single-line text or a long text field will paste only the text up to the newline in the current cell, with text following the newline (presumably up to the end of the file or the next newline encountered) appearing in the cell below the current one. If there are insufficient rows, Airtable will prompt to confirm the user wishes to add records.
    • Pasting a value containing an embedded newline with enclosing quotes โ€” as when the entire cell is copied โ€” into either a single-line or a long text field pastes the entire value into the current cell.
Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@W_Vann_Hall This is a REALLY helpful explanation, thank you! A keyboard-only solution is ideal, but weโ€™ll look at drag-and-drop.

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

I should clarify, as my original phrasing wasnโ€™t clear: By mark-and-copy, I meant placing the cursor at the beginning of the desired text, depressing the mouse button, and, while continuing to hold it down, dragging the cursor to the end of the desired text. At that point press Ctrl-C to copy, select the targeted app or field, and press Ctrl-V to paste. Selecting the highlighted text, holding down the mouse button, โ€˜draggingโ€™ the text to the desired target, and โ€˜droppingโ€™ it in place may work, but Iโ€™ve not tested it. (Iโ€™m sure you understood, but I wanted to be sure not to mislead any potential readers who stumble across this exchange in the future who arenโ€™t UI/UX legends. :winking_face: )