Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

COUNTIF AND COUNTIFS Formulas

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adalberto_Santo
5 - Automation Enthusiast

It would be great if the COUNTIF and the COUNTIFS formulas were implemented in Airtable. I use them in most of my excel spreadsheets, and it is a little frustrating not being able to use it here. Are there any plans to add more formulas?

50 Comments
Sabrina_Love
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would love to have a COUNTIF feature for two reasons…

1. I’d like to be able to use it to count the number of active tasks per team member. For example, count the number of cards with status of x. I don’t want to change the view of the board to get this info, I really just want to be able to click on a team member and see that number. Right now my “Active Tasks” equals my “Total Tasks” which is not true.
  2. I’d like to see the number of cards which are more than 2 weeks old (I have a field for “Date of Submission” on all cards).
    Thanks,
    Sabrina
Nick_Burrus
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would love CountIfs as well! Especially if I can call from other tables in my base, without having to link records.

I would even be okay if this was a Pro feature!

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Also not optimal — and, strictly speaking, both more and less than COUNTIF() — but the routines I outline in this post can provide similar functionality, albeit at a cost.

Brittany_Sigler

I’d like to be able to do the exact same use case as #1! Is there any workaround available?

Anna_Dardick
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I need COUNTIFS as well! Please implement.

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

I’m keeping a list of New Formula Field Functions users are requesting here:

And I’d like to add this request to the list. Could you guys help me wrap my head around how a COUNTIF() might work if implemented in Airtable? What parameters would be entered in the parenthesis (mandatory and optional), what would the function do (in Airtable terms, not in spreadsheet terms), and what would it return?

I ask because, as someone who has never used a COUNTIF() in a spreadsheet, I’m not sure how to formulate the request in my list.

Thanks!

Alex_Waugh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Katherine - I have an example of where a COUNTIF would be preferable. My links are people-work items in a many-to-many relation. Each work item has a status against it. I want to count how many items of a given status are against each person. i.e. 'COUNTIF(“Complete”). But due to many-to-many, when I create a view and ‘group by’ people, I get as many groups as I have combinations of people working together on a work item, rather than having a group for 1 person and repeating the rows. I guess this makes sense in an relational world…

TO ALL: one way to do this is using a conditional rollup (can’t include links, google ‘airtable conditional rollup’).

Mike_Davis1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’d like to be able to use COUNTIF or COUNTIFS in order to know if any values are duplicated on one or more fields. Kind of a workaround for the lack of unique constraints on records in Airtable.

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

FYI, I tossed together a mini demo base showing how one can use a rollup field with an aggregation formula to emulate some of COUNTIF()'s functionality. In the demo, team members are assigned one or more tasks; each task has one of 6? statuses. The field {# complete} returns how many of that individual’s tasks are marked as having been completed.

Rose_Fox

Another request for COUNTIF here. I’m using Airtable for members of a committee to rate suggestions. Each row looks something like:

[suggestion] [rating] [rating] [rating]

Where each committee member gets a column in which to put ratings. (This lets me give each member their own view showing only their ratings, so they aren’t influenced by one another’s thought.) Each rating is a number: 5, 2, 0, -5. (5 means “MUST DO THIS”, -5 means “WORST IDEA EVER”.)

In addition to summing the ratings to give each suggestion an aggregate score, I’d like to be able to count ratings to see how many people rated each one 5 or -5. This will tell me how polarizing the item is. An item that has an aggregate rating of 0 because everyone was indifferent to it is quite different from one that has an aggregate rating of 0 because half the committee thought it was great and the other half thought it was awful.

I was actually first looking for a MODE function, but there isn’t one, so I thought I’d kludge it with COUNTIF. But there isn’t COUNTIF either! This may be one of those dreaded situations where I copy my Airtable base into Excel just to perform a few basic functions. Please add both MODE and COUNTIF.